1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

But I just want to go and play

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by lizdot, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Hi

I am an experienced FS2 teacher but I am currently experiencing something on a scale that I haven't before.

As the year comes to its end I am expecting children to participate in more adult focus tasks and more whole class work. I am trying to make all the activities inviting, exciting and relevant, just as I always do.

These are some of the reactions.

"But I haven't had time to play yet!"

"When can I go and play?"

"After sports day I don't want to come to this school anymore. " " What do think would make you like to come?" "More lego and things like that."

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Does anyone have any solutions?

Thank you in advance.

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Have you increased the adult directed whole class time too much too quickly? Like a sudden big increase?
    Do you still have opportunity for free play or it is squeezed into moments when they have finished their 'work'?
    Do the children making the comments get pulled into interventions that reduces their time for play?
    Are they still 4? Are more of them still emerging in areas of PSED?
    When you stand back and reflect you might find the answer jumps out at you.

3. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

My daughter was complaining there was "too much lego" in her reception classroom this afternoon! Basically - you can't win!

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

LOL Presumably she had trodden on a piece of lego!

Don't do the adult focus tasks then...they will lose all sense of 'sit at a table and work at something boring (to them)' over the summer holiday anyway. Let them play while they still can!

Gsr25, bajan and jomaimai like this.