1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

BUSS 2 - exam technique - tips needed!

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by flybe, Apr 19, 2012.

1. flybe

flybe New commenter

Hi - I'm an NQT

I'm struggling with my BUSS2 revision classes....I know they can be more inspriring - I obviously am lacking in knowledge but I'm trying to get my head around what is required. Suport from mentor is very limited. Obs are not possible.

This first week - I have them working in teams to get through the first case study - 1 a 1b 1c 1d.

So, I have been setting the question, asking the demand of questions, - and getting them to use a frame using a frame t, PEE technique to a relevent question.

Does anyone have tips ideas, suggestions on how to take two and half weeks worth of lessons..?

So far, In my head what want to do is some sample question marking (but the mark scheme is so complicated for them to understand)

Further Advice on ,....
    Feedback (how to do it best or unique ideas? as i tend to drift into verbal feedback with some roughly sketching down some bullet points on the board as they go through answers)
    Innovative and creative lessons
    Ideas for Evaluation and how to teach it - and any thing else

Thanks

2. flybe

flybe New commenter

Hi - I'm an NQT

I'm struggling with my BUSS2 revision classes....I know they can be more inspriring - I obviously am lacking in knowledge but I'm trying to get my head around what is required. Suport from mentor is very limited. Obs are not possible.

This first week - I have them working in teams to get through the first case study - 1 a 1b 1c 1d.

So, I have been setting the question, asking the demand of questions, - and getting them to use a frame using a frame t, PEE technique to a relevent question.

Does anyone have tips ideas, suggestions on how to take two and half weeks worth of lessons..?

So far, In my head what want to do is some sample question marking (but the mark scheme is so complicated for them to understand)

Further Advice on ,....
    Feedback (how to do it best or unique ideas? as i tend to drift into verbal feedback with some roughly sketching down some bullet points on the board as they go through answers)
    Innovative and creative lessons
    Ideas for Evaluation and how to teach it - and any thing else

Thanks

3. There are two main tips here. Firstly, make the students pick out the key terms and then highlight the main points of the question. I have made the students go through a past paper they have done and add up all the points they missed by not using key term definitions. It can add up to 12-14 points a paper - or up to 2 grades downmarking. I then get the students to highlight the main points in a question and get these mindmapped on the board using PEE. Then they have to write it up with their suggestions or analysis.
    I also draw a grid on the board. Top part: definitions. First point: what ever that might be. PEE Second point: whatever that might be. PEE Then conclusion which has to relate (or tie up) the main points raised.
    The marking is simple, definitions, main points (application) and analysis. THe conclusion is the evaluation..
    HOpe that helps.

4. For the evaluation questions it is far easier to rack up evaluation marks by evaluating each paragraph (and therefore each point made). Sum up and make a judgement at the end. It's a dangerous game leaving <u>all</u> of the evaluation to the conclusion. I wouldn't recommend it.
    This makes it far easier for examiners to award top evaluation marks and also, if a student runs out of time in the final question, they haven't shot themselves in the foot regarding evaluation marks.