1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Business PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jvintagek, Aug 20, 2018.

1. jvintagek

jvintagek New commenter

Hello, Everyone,
    I was thinking of doing PGCE in applied business studies this September through university route.
    I have few questions regarding business PGCE

How we refresh the subject knowledge do we have business studies class while on PGCE? ( I have accounting finance and business degree and masters too but some refresh in knowledge is still required)

How hard is business PGCE compare with other subjects?

How is the job scope after you finish the course?

Is it really hard to get into university for the course? Is the competition regarding getting the place in the university competitive?

I had made up my mind about doing it but want to know more from the previous graduate or anyone who has knowledge about it
    Thank you for helping

2. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Could I suggest you do a PGCE in maths, possibly with business studies as a second subject. If you follow this route you could attract generous funding but, most of all, your chances of securing a post rise considerably.

I see you have an accountancy background and are highly qualified. Once you have a PGCE you can teach many subjects, choose the one that brings the greatest return. Business studies can be a Cinderella subject by itself, maths is a different thing altogether.

jvintagek likes this.
  3. jvintagek

jvintagek New commenter

Thank you for your response I will see if I can do maths PGCE or include that as my subject. I was thinking about Maths PGCE but you know couldn't feel comfortable to take on the subject with a lot of in-depth knowledge. I will certainly look into it

4. phatsals

You wouldn't need too much real 'in depth' knowledge. It will be a lot of KS3 and some manageable GCSE classes, you are highly unlikely to get Y11.

You need to be pragmatic about it really, you could be really caught out with business studies, pay a lot to train and struggle to get a meaningful post. With maths you would be able to pick and choose, could get a very generous bursary and will certainly earn more money in the end. The maths aspect would also help swing business studies posts where there's competition.

jvintagek likes this.
  5. phatsals

the other thing to think about is if you are wanting to teach 11-18 or just 16+. If you get QTS you can teach all of it, if you do FE you would need another year for QTLS and have to keep renewing it.

Go for QTS 11-18 (30 year teacher speaking).

jvintagek likes this.
  6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Check out the syllabi for A level GCSE and this will help you with the required subject knowledge. Business as an amalgam subject will always have areas where teachers have lesser expertise such as Marketing and Advertising. In your case the accounts part is OK and this is usually the more challenging area of Business Studies.
    Opportunities depend upon the schools in the area where you are living. In some schools Business has become a completely post 16 subject also Economics is a popular A level and AS level- where these still exist. The title of your PGCE Applied Business Studies suggests that it is perhaps post 16 in focus?

jvintagek likes this.
  7. jvintagek

jvintagek New commenter

Thank you for your response. The course is for 14-19 years old.They have send me the curriculum as part of the interview process which includes GCSE too.The course is being refreshed, think what they have done is change it from applied to business studies. I have checked the curriculum thoroughly and have seen nothing that I haven’t studied but still need to work on some areas . I can teach economics as well as I have done it myself in ALevel with some extra work and self study . I will get pgce and recommendation for QTS after completion.
    Well regarding job I currently living in London but I am willing to travel or relocate for work as long as the work is
    available.
    Thank you for your input

8. jvintagek

jvintagek New commenter

Thank you very much for sharing your experience you have really made me think about maths PGCE. The course is for 14-19 years old and they will recommend for QTS at the end of the course don't know what that means exactly. I will explore more options for maths once I get qualified but I will definitely consider teaching maths. Thank you once again and huge respect for you for teaching for that many years your suggestion is really valuable.

9. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Do check that the qualification does include QTS many post 16 teachers have been caught out by this as teachers with post compulsory qualifications also need to hold membership of the Society for Education and Training in order to have their qualifications endorsed for school teaching.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/qualified-teacher-status-qts#qualified-teacher-learning-and-skills-qtls

If your PGCE covers the 14-19 age range including QTS then this is the best option. Business jobs in London are generally strong in my borough ( NE London) this year there were at least 12 appointments for Business and Economics posts.
    Good luck with the course.

10. teacher4l1fe

teacher4l1fe New commenter

You will pretty much have the choice of jobs teaching Business & Economics too with how things are going, especially in the South East.

Only thing I would say is try to get some Economics exposure if possible whilst on your PGCE.