1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Business idea...

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by jackdobson92, Jan 21, 2018.

1. jackdobson92

jackdobson92 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently an NQT (MFL) approaching the halfway mark and feeling, as you'd imagine, busy as hell. It's a huge learning curve and I'm not entirely sure it's the right long-term career for me, personally. I love the teaching aspect but the other stuff, e.g. workload, not having free evenings or weekends etc are just proving to be a bit too much. That said, my feedback has been really positive and my observations have all gone well (TOUCHING WOOD!).

That said, I've made a decision that after this year, I want to try something different within teaching. I thought about potentially approaching primary schools in my area and offering my services as (by then) a qualified teacher, to go into schools and deliver MFL lessons or EAL interventions (I have experience of working as EAL assistant).

My question is simple - is this possible? Would it be possible to approach schools in this way and try to get a small business together?

Just asking as I'd love your perspective on this.

Jack.

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I'm MFL.
    Is there a demand in your area for this?
    If there was a demand, would the job not be advertised? Have you come straight from uni or worked in another area?
    I did 17 years of secondary teaching and got out, not because of the workload, but because I want to teach for understanding, not to tick boxes of they've included a past tense and an opinion blah blah
    I now teach a mix of ages ranging from 5 to 73. I love teaching the adults because they are learning to actually put the language to use