1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bus Stop being built outside my property!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Jan 12, 2012.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

The buses are so expensive these days that it costs nearly as much as owning a car! I'm not above using public transport myself. I just don't see why the bus-stop has been moved from further down the road where it wasn't overlooking anyone, had room for a layby and there was a bus shelter. They have spent today digging out the grassy area between my flat and the road in order to build a new layby (I presume). Seems like madness to me.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

What did they say when you asked?

3. I would advise closing the curtains whilst having sex.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Aha, sorry then eva. I knew the shelters did because our village had a rash of them a while back, we managed to stop a couple of them. (tough on walkers but teenagers smoking are quite unsightly)

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

prudeish no?
    you germanics so repressed ha!

6. fantastischfish

I'm married now CQ. That means we don't have sex anymore, right? [​IMG]

7. Only on your fertile days, of course!
    Congratulations though - when did you get married and how come I missed it all?
    The last time I remember, Mr. Smith-to-be was in trouble for not getting out of bed so that you could change the bed linen [​IMG]

8. fantastischfish

He's STILL a bloody lazy so-and-so. The deal is we bought a spare set of sheets and it's his job to change them when he drags himself out of bed.
    Yes, we got married on Christmas eve. I mentioned it on a few threads in passing, but I didn't do a bit announcement. We didn't even tell out families it was happening until just before. Nice and simple, no drama. No reception just a big party on Christmas eve.

9. I have difficulty with the word 'property'. I used to live in a flat. then a maisonette, then various houses. I have never referred to my home as 'my' property - that sounds a legal term. By the way, the bus stop is next door and I do know the embarrassment when you open the curtains in the nuddy as the early (packed) bus snails by. However, I'll bet that is the only time they'll nose into my bedroom!! All noses resolutely into books, phones, whatever from now on!

10. megsie

megsie New commenter

Well I had this problem that an existing bus stop was moved from an area to right outside my house rather than further down along my garden. I made numerous phone calls to the highways department and several formal letters and they eventually moved it back, still inconvenient, but back where it was. Its not NIMBYism if a bus stop was already near you.
    I use public transport but it smells and make your windows rattle and so on when it idles outside your house. So good luck with it.

11. Let us have public transport transport the public where there is no public! That way, the public cannot be offended by public transport!
    I shall allow you to patent the idea if you like.The public will be glad that their windows do not rattle or smell and will not notice that there is no transport where the public lives with windows.

12. fantastischfish

When I was a student, I lived in a freeeeezzzzzing cold house with no double glazing and a trainline running past about 15 feet from our front door. The whole house would vibrate from top to bottom. The trains ran by about every 3 minutes. Luckily, the last train at midnight. And at least noone could see into our windows due to lovely high trees.

13. [​IMG]
    I know it is bleddy annoying, but try not to let your life be ruined by a bus stop ;-)
    Are you in M? Or IB? Or R? I can never remember and I think you moved anyway. And we were talking of you tonight on t'phone.
    If you are wondering why I am asking, you can PM me [​IMG]

14. In my second year of university, I lived on a main road that turned into the road the university was on. I remember dancing wildly to Eminem one afternoon and noticing a bus packed full of students looking at me. I saw the humour in it but never closed my curtains during the day once I was dressed just through preference.

15. I used to have a bus stop outside my old first floor flat. I had my bathroom and bedroom at the front. I found that carefully tilted Venetian blinds stopped people being able to see anything inside. I also saved a fortune on taxi fares if I had been out drinking as I got the bus from town rather than a taxi.