1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Burt's Reading Test (1974)

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by cf5mhc, May 26, 2010.

1. I am looking for a basic standardised single word, simple reading test and Burt's looks easy to administer and gives me what I'm looking for- a reading age to track entry and exit levels. I don't want it to be a diagnostic test as I have one that does the job well.
    Is the standardisation on the Burt's still ok or is it discredited like Schonell's?
    I got a free download from the Reform Reform Trust website recently so assume it's ok?

2. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

we use the Salford reading test.

3. I've used it. It does give you an assessment of something...I'm just not sure what! So it depends what it is you need to know. Decoding skills? Vocabulary? Reading comprehension? The reading ages seemed very high when I did it, especially when compared with the Edinburgh Reading Test. I don't think the age of the test matters too much, though perhaps the word 'luncheon' is a less commonly used, but its shortness makes it less reliable. Then again, so is the Edinburgh Reading Test, Salford, Suffolk and every test under the sun!