1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursting into tears

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Oldfashioned, May 23, 2019.

1. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Another interview, another knock back. Feel useless and lost.

Got a well meaning email pointing me towards a job and I just burst into tears.

I'm on long term supply so can't take time off. I could see the doc and ask for help but the last time I tried anti-depressants I spent most afternoons knocked out on the sofa so they won't work while I'm working.

Life is set back, after knock back, after set back...

There comes a point where you just want to give in.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh Oldfashioned, I've been there and the toll of repeated knockback at interview can so easily lead to loss of confidence in oneself. And one often doesn't want to share 'another setback' with friends, as it seems like moaning and they can so easily tell us 'next time', which can actually make us feel worse. I was fortunate in having a wonderful husband and family, who supported me and so I could pick myself up again after a bit.

I wish there was some 'instant' cure advice, but sadly that isn't the case.One just has ro wait for one to 'reset' that confidence gauge.

pepper5 and Oldfashioned like this.
  3. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Thank you Lara

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

It is a problem acclimatising to antidepressants. I started them last day of summer term and was OK by September. It's easy to feel crushed by job rejections but for every 5 interviewed only one, and sometimes not even one, can get the job. Have they offered feedback? Lots of time they have no intention of appointing, or fully intend giving it to an internal candidate. Try not to take it personally. Next one could be the lucky one!

Oldfashioned, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi oldfashioned

It is hard - so very hard to reset the confidence gauge as Lara says.

I am out of work and just starting looking for something.

I am pretty sure you will find something if you keep looking.

Were you able to get any feedback?

Try to take one day at a time - just what you have to do today.

Oldfashioned and Lara mfl 05 like this.