1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries in 2011 and 2012 - campaign update

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by anon331, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi everyone

You may have seen a post from me on here a couple of weeks ago about a petition that I started about the bursary situation. This is just a little update as I've got a bit more organised with it!

I'm really pushing this as much as I can. I've contacted all the teaching unions. I've also contacted universities asking them to forward the petition to their PGCE students. I've also contacted a few media people who are interested in writing about this. What most of you may not know is that a campaign was started regarding bursaries for those who took an SKE course this year and they've actually won their bursaries back. So, if we all work together, it's possible to get somewhere! So here's what we all need to do..

Firstly, if you haven't signed the petition, please do! http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/162 Also, there's a simple link on there to share it on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn so if you can, please do. Pass it on to as many people as you can! If you've got a Facebook group for your PGCE course, maybe you could share it on there and ask others to do the same.

Universities are unwilling to pass on my email about the petition, even though they support it. It seems this is because I'm unknown. So if you can, please could you ask your course leader to forward the petition to students, even if they're on a different PGCE course.

We really need to keep on at our MPs! I got a reply back which was ridiculous. It would have been easy to accept that, which my MP seemed happy to do, instead I'm going to keep pushing it. If we do keep pushing it with our MPs they will eventually take notice and try and do something about it. I've still got both letters that I sent him, so if you want to contact your MP but don't really know what to say, I'm happy to send you my letters and you can just add in your name, address etc. Just message me your email address.

I really hope that I'm not coming across as bossy here! I know that there are a lot of people very unhappy about this, we just need to all be doing everything we can and where possible, taking the same approach. I'm not trying to run this, at all. I just want us to get what I believe we deserve. So if anyone else has ideas on input, please share it!

Thanks

Caroline

2. I have already mentioned the SKE course bursay, but after a successful campaign, those who have this year completed a SKE course WILL still receive a bursary this year. The campaign is continuing to push for the reinstatement of bursaries for all PGCE students, as in previous years. There are some students who will have bursaries in the country whilst their classmates won?t. This is surely unfair and clear for everyone to see, though it is something that has been litle publicised to those outside of an SKE course. The reinstatement of bursaries for those who have completed an SKE course this year shows us that we have a good chance of achieving our aim but for this to happen, we need to join together to campaign for this change. There are members who have already got their bursary back who are now pushing forward for those that don?t, so even if you?re doing a subject that still has a bursary, we would be grateful of your support. If you would like to join the campaign or even just follow its progress, you can find us on Facebook in a group called ?National Campaign Against SKE & PGCE Bursary Cuts?. The link to to group is here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/185142528191983/

The petition is important and it's a great way to get the support of friends and family who may not have the time or inclination to write to their MP etc. But we need to try and get so much more organised with that, sending letters, speaking to the right people etc. The SKE group had about 40 members who pushed and campaigned hard for their bursary and they got it back! After some successful publicity, the Facebook group now has over 200 members. Think how much more pressure we can put on with more people? The group rose from 40 to 239 (currently) in less than 24 hours. There is great support for this campaign, we just need to all join together.

3. Hi, I have just seen your campaign and have forwarded the link to the e-petition to my fellow SKE students who are all about to start our PGCE in September.

As we are Math's trainees we have been fortunate not to have lost our bursaries but do sympathise with you.

Out of interest, do you know if any mention has been made of honouring the Golden Hello's for those who have just completed SKE courses? However I do appreciate that losing the Golden Hello pales into insignificance compared to what you were faced with!

I did write to Michael Gove earlier in the year and was surprised to actually get response but it was along the lines of we wouldn't get it as they do not recognise the SKE as part of teacher training. It would be interesting to see what responses other people may have had, if any.

Having just completed a SKE I am a huge supporter of the course and think that all trainees would benefit from completing one as I am convinced it is going to benefit both myself and my future students!

4. That's reasonable I suppose. At least we still have a bursary so can still afford to do the PGCE, especially with a mortgage to pay! Best of luck with the campaign.