1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries for primary teachers with 2:2

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Teacher_Jen, Dec 13, 2011.

1. According to the TDA there are no bursaries for students with a 2:2 but students with a 2:1 will get £5,00. This seems very unfair as I was only a few marks from a 2:1 and there isn't much in it anyway! Plus grades dont make good teachers!
    MNy household income is also too high for me to recieve a grant so apart from the maintaince loan, I'm ******** really if the truth be told.
    Its going to be a hard year for us 2:2 students, doesn't seem at all fair in my opinion. I worked just as hard, I literally flunked on ONE section of my degree, even my dissertation was a 2:1.

2. According to the TDA there are no bursaries for students with a 2:2 but students with a 2:1 will get £5,00. This seems very unfair as I was only a few marks from a 2:1 and there isn't much in it anyway! Plus grades dont make good teachers!
    MNy household income is also too high for me to recieve a grant so apart from the maintaince loan, I'm ******** really if the truth be told.
    Its going to be a hard year for us 2:2 students, doesn't seem at all fair in my opinion. I worked just as hard, I literally flunked on ONE section of my degree, even my dissertation was a 2:1.

3. Totally agree. I'm in the same position and do think it's unfair that it goes from £5,000 to nothing.

I also narrowly missed a 2:1 due to missing some time in uni because of personal problems. However, I still put in as much effort as everyone else to do as well as possible under the circumstances.
    With regards to household income, I live with my dad whose wage takes the household over the threshold. But, I work part time, and for very little money and yet I don't depend on my dad, and would never expect him to help me out with money as I earn my own (despite not having much of it)!

They are obviously trying to appeal to the 'best' academically, however the class on your degree does not determine how well you will take to teacher training or the profession as a whole!

4. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Imagine how frustrating it is to those of us who are training this year and didn't get a single penny despite having a first class degrees and 2:1s. However, those of us who are desperate to teach made the decision to do it anyway despite the lack of bursary, and I'm glad I did.
    If I had waited a year I would have been eligible for a £9k bursary for Primary Teaching, but the fees would have been higher, but then I wouldn't have needed the student loan, so my student debt would have been around the same but I would have had an extra £5k over the year to live on!! It was a hard decision but I wanted to train this year as at the point where I needed to accept my place on the course the bursaries were only being discussed and weren't set in stone and I couldn't risk them deciding to leave it another year before reintroducing them leaving me relying on the student loan anyway but the fees to have trebled!
    I don't think they should have a sliding scale of bursaries according to degree class, as I think it makes very little difference to how someone is as a teacher, maybe they should have some sort of bursary scheme that rewards someone on their ability on the PGCE, so that only the outstanding trainees get the biggest bursary!

5. Cracks me up how they are doing this. Experience means nothing then? I know you need to be academic to be a teacher, but it is also a fundamentally vocational course. This is my second time applying after being told 2 years experience in SEN was my downfall. I still believe it's because they could pick and choose their applicants, and people with higher degrees are more favourable. I'm gutted about the bursary thing, and now concerned as to whether I will ever achieve my dream career of being a special needs teacher.

6. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

As MzUnderstood has pointed out, the current Primary PGCEers get not a single penny in bursary. The year before we could have had £4000.
    But them's the rules - it's down to each person to make their own decision on whether to go for the course in their own circumstances.
    I don't get a grant. Husband is carrying the entire household and childcare bills and we have cut as much as we can. It's a lean Christmas (try explaining that to a 7yo who still believes in FC) , but that was our choice.

7. It's really angered me and im seriously considering not bothering. It's bad enough they have said they will only accept teachers up to a 2:2 grade but now this! I'm going to be in mountains of debt on top of my undergrad loan. Another thing that really bugs me is student finance/government believing that parents or partners who earn over a certain figure should cough up and help out. Not taking into consideration any other circumstances.
    I'm in the fortunate position that I have already been offered a place on a scitt course with 100% employment rate, however that little bit of extra money would help pay for day to day needs like travel and food costs. I also wont be able to afford to run a car which is a blow as I have my test next month.

8. Hello all, don't know if you know about it, but there is a campaign on the go to re-instate the bursaries and there is also an e-petition (currently with nearly 3,500 signatures) on the government website, e-petitions.gov. So please sign up and also join the facebook group http://www.facebook.com/groups/pgcebursarycampaign/ there is lots of info and discussion on there, so please join in to stop this unfair system!

9. The thing is, there are that many applicants, there needs to be a way to narrow down candidates, and logically, the better the degree, the better chance of an in depth subject knowledge and aptitude for higher level learning.

Nobody goes into teaching for the money, and if its what you really want to do, there should always be a way, it just might be very uncomfortable for a year or two. The bursaries are a bonus, I agree, but I would still be applying to teach without it, as I started my degree 3 years ago with the aim of a PCGE at the end. Things have changed dramatically financially since then but I don't care as I just want to teach.

10. I'm really unsure about this now. They have got to at least offer us 2:2 students 2,000 or something if the 2:1's are getting 5,000! and 1st 9,000 how can it go from 5,000 to 0? Is there anyone I can write to about this? I need to make my anger felt!

11. Any point writing to Michael Gove?

12. I think it's very unlikely that things will change, they have to draw the line somewhere and it will always be unfair to some and beneficial to others, no matter where that line is drawn. It's one of those things in life that is unfair, but has to be swallowed. It's not fair that there aren't any jobs at the end of the PGCE when people have worked so hard to achieve it either, but there you go. That's just life, I'm afraid.

13. Hi there,

You are very lucky to have already secured a place for next year!
    If I were you, I would only cancel/defer if it were 100% necessary, as after this year, it is only set to get harder. Believe me, I feel the same way as you do about the situation, as I feel pretty worthless (like a 2:2 just isn't good enough). Some may argue that a 2:2 isn't good enough to allow you to pass a PGCE, but I also believe some people should at least be given a chance to try and it won't affect my ability to teach.

I have a 2:2 and so far, I'm still waiting to hear back from my second choice (was unsuccessful after interview). I'm really worried about the debt and the employment prospects in the future, but if I were to be offered a place, I would snap it up and jump for joy!! I think worries and doubts are only natural in this economic climate and I'm sure after I finished jumping, I would worry too!

I think if this is something you really want and you've been offered a place, don't give up! is there any way you can earn more before the course starts, to help you? I hope you don't mind my saying this, as I don't know your current situation and I don't want to offend you. I agree, that parents shouldn't be expected to help, my parents are certainly not in a position where they could fork out for me and I would never ask them to!

However, despite all of this negativity, its really nice to talk to people who feel the same way as I do. Michael Gove is going to make the future hard for some of us. Sorry for the long rant

14. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Signed this months ago when it was first set up, have advertised it on my facebook and had 100+ friends sign it, however, the petition needs 100,000 signatures before they will discuss it in parliament, so I can't see it getting that far!

15. Many of us have written to our MPs and have had quite promising results, such as Vince Cable's support and the unions are also backing it - there was a feature article in the ATL's membership magazine. Yes, we are a long way off from the 100,000 signatures needed, but at least there is something happening, it is worth a try anyway...

16. I have written to my local MP today hoping something will be done about this unfair system.
    How they can go from £0 to £5,000 is beyond me.
    When you say Vince Cable is backing it, what is he backing? The change to bursary system or just regarding this year not if you have a 2:2.

17. Hi Kyler S what University was your first choice that you were unsuccessful for? And what is your second choice you are waiting to hear from?

18. Hi defer2-

My first choice was Edgehill and this week I also was unsuccessful at my second choice, Liverpool Hope. These were both flexible options, part time, so I'm not sure if these are becoming more competitive (theres not many in the North West).
    I've asked for feedback from Hope too, just so I know where I stand and now I'm going to look at my options..

How about you?

19. Ahh I'm sorry to hear that, I applied to Greenwich as my first choice, was not successful due to my maths test :( now I'm hoping that UEL consider my application! Is this your first year applying?? It is mine :) quite daunting!!