1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries for part-time PGCE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by valreas, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I have just been offered a place on a part-time (2 year) primary PGCE course at the IoE. Having looked at their website today it appears that the new TDA bursaries coming in for 2012/13 are only available for full-time students. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I won't be earning while I'm doing the course - I opted to apply for the part-time course because I have two young children and wanted to continue spending some time at home with them while doing the course.

2. I have just been offered a place on a part-time (2 year) primary PGCE course at the IoE. Having looked at their website today it appears that the new TDA bursaries coming in for 2012/13 are only available for full-time students. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I won't be earning while I'm doing the course - I opted to apply for the part-time course because I have two young children and wanted to continue spending some time at home with them while doing the course.

3. Hi, I'm afraid I can't shed any light but would love it if someone else could! I have three children and will start at IoE in Sept too. I am aware that breakfast clubs, childminders etc will all cost money and will be necessary even when studying part time.

4. Why would you think this to be the case? I have just looked carefully at the TDA web site pages about the bursaries from September 2012, and it says nothing at all about full-time / part-time. Can you quote the part which made you think that bursaries will only go to full-time students?
    OtC

5. I have now established for certain that bursaries from September 2012 are available for part time PGCE students.
    OtC

6. It was from the IoE website section regarding funding oscarthecat - it said "Note: training bursaries are not available to non-EU students or part-time students or students on employment based routes."

Thank you - if you're right (not meaning to doubting you - just hesitant to celebrate too soon) that will make a huge difference to me.

7. Thanks OtC - really helpful and great news!