1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries and Training places

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Rodgered, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Thanks for your help - its a bit of a mindfield. I suppose I have to just have to keep my fingers crossed to see if I get an unconditional offer. Its for Drama so i don't think I will now get a bursary. I will wait til March and then apply for loans and grants and then again, keep my fingers crossed! Thats all I seem to be dong recently!

2. Another thing to bear in mind is that if you qualify for the maintenace grant, the maximum maintenance loan available to you becomes smaller.

3. Bloody good stuff Gove. Bursaries enabling those with a passion for teaching to enter the profession? Load of lefty poppycock. Teaching should only be available for those who have a mummy or daddy with a spare £6k knocking about, that'll keep out those Marxist rabble raisers! Greedy blighters who only considered getting into teaching to get their grubby mitts on that massively generous bursary and live it up like a king!

Oh well at least I don't have to worry now about whether my conditional offer will result in a firm place on the course as i can't see any way of making ends meet now anyway. Time for plan b, hang on there is no plan b, all I've ever wanted to do is teach - oh ***.

4. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

As the outgoing Labour treasury secretary said in the note he left on the desk:
    "Sorry, there is no more money".
    If the government gives you a bursary, with the current defecit, it will have to borrow the money it gives you.
    Why do you believe you're so special that your passion should mean that every one else in the country should be put into further debt?
    (That's not a dig at you personally, but it is a real question - in expecting a bursary you are asking everyone in the country, and that means the children you teach, let alone their parents, to take on extra debt. Should they really be doing that?)
    Oh, and BTW, there are a lot of unemployed teachers around..

5. I agree. And yes, I know Barclays offer a good graduate loan, which all of my postgrad friends have got. Some have even got to live in China and 'study' TEFL/Chinese! You don't pay it off until the month after your course ends.

6. This is why I'm so annoyed... I expected a cut, but not a cut to bursaries all together... They should have worked out what they were going to do earlier, or kept the same things in place as last year (maybe scaling things down a bit?) and announce it for the coming year instead.
    I've already emailed Gove (I've been emailing his department for months trying to find out what the situation with bursaries is) asking him to do something, I suggested allowing students to take out bigger student loans to make up for what they would have got as a bursary last year. I've also emailed my MP, to see if he can do anything...
    It's the news I was hoping I wouldn't get... I'm pretty devestated.
    I suppose I'm going to have to go down the carear development loan otherwise aren't I?

7. Ok so...

Are we allowed to take out a tuition fee loan (for the cost of the course) and a maintenance loan (for travel, books etc.)?

Because I will need a maintenance loan now for the train and bus fare to uni and placements every day.

I would have needed to take out a tuition fee loan but was expecting the bursary to cover the cost of travel etc.

Are we allowed a maintenance loan from Student Finance then? (Like for undergrad)

Otherwise I won't be able to do the course. If I've even got a place. [​IMG]

8. Apologies if I'm being ignorant and it's already been mentioned on this thread but I've read the article and am still confused as to whether this applies to Welsh students studying in Wales. As far as I know if I applied for a bursary it'd be funded by WAG but there's not much info on their website so if anybody knows let me know. :)

9. It's just like a normal undergradate degree from 2006. You apply for tutition fee loan and a maintenance loan (assessed for the maintenance grant / non-assessed for no grant). You don't see the tutition fee loan - it will go straight from the Student Loans Company to the Uni. You will receive the maintenance loan in three installments - September, December and April (you usually receive a bigger amount in April to cover 'summer' costs). If you get a bursary it will be paid monthly in nine installments from September/October.

10. Thanks!

Hopefully I can get a student oyster card as well (will have to check on TFL website whether they do one for postgrads.) That would lower my expenses slightly.

11. Another thing to note .... I got a place on the PGCE in Jan 2009 for 2009 / 2010 and applied for my loan / grant etc straight away. Received my loan and grant in November 2009 - 3 months after the course started and 10 months after I applied. This was the case for many students so just beware and try and save as much as you can to get you through the months where student finance are deluged with applicants. It was hard, with a husband on a less than average income, childcare fees and a mortgage but I survived, if I can do it anyone can!
    Good luck :)
    (And I have a job, so there is some light at the end of the tunnel) :)

12. Im currently studying for a PGCE and if the distance to our placement is further than it takes us to get to uni the travel cost are reimbursed. Might be worth checking if your uni offers this too. It's saving me a small fortune.

I've also just applied for a tax rebate as i'm too busy to work. I was working full time b4 the course so I should receive at least £600 back. As long as you don't intend to work withing the four weeks after you've applied you can claim for your rebate within the same tax year as when you paid the money.

13. Well even though I think I have a place to study for a PGCE Secondary English I think I will have to withdraw from the process now as I can't survive for a year with no income.The bursary really would have helped in what would have been a
    tough year.I had a bit of a cry at the destruction of my teaching dreams but I really can't see how it is doable.
    It is all very well trying to get a career development loan but you have to start paying that back one month after the end of your course regardless of whether you are working or not. Also in the current economic climate it is hardly unlikely I would be walking straight in to a teaching job anyway.You only have to visit the unemployed teacher forum on this website to get a reality check about how the job market is at the moment but I feel aggrieved about it all and do feel I would have contributed in a positive way to teaching and was really enthusiastic about teaching.

14. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

Blimey! That's generous. Lucky you :)

15. Sadly I've called it a day (was on a SKE course) but with the fees going up, the bursary going down, the interest rates on student loans going up, no golden hello, main scale pay frozen for two years, pension contributions going up and issues with general teacher unemployment (use of short term contracts, CV & TA staff - not to mention a 12% budget cut in staff for 2012....I'd have to be independently wealthly to survive!
    And this is before dealing with the task of developing in a new career.
    Oh well - with Free Schools you don't need QTS to teach and you can negotiate your own salary package.....

16. This is so very true. Whilst studying for my BA last year we didn't receive our September loan installment until December, the day before our December installment. And it's the same SLC who will be paying out PGCE loans.