1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries and Training places

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Rodgered, Jan 31, 2011.

1. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

so what's your point?

2. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

But with respect, surely an income like that can provide financial help - even to borrow some money interest-free and pay back when in the job. Those of us that are estranged or don't have parents, or lone parents who don't earn enough, etc, really have no option at all. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

3. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

I was wondering the same thing...! Don't know, trying to get my head around these changes and seeing what the effects will be.

4. harderfaster

An income like that? Each parent on £25k? It's hardly extravagant. Say they are paying a mortgage, bills, maintaining a few other children... it doesn't necessarily leave several grand to spare to replace a maintenance grant does it?

5. That's my point exactly-why should it go on your parent's income when you might live miles away from them or be estranged?!

6. It's not a grant, it's a loan, and i think everyone is entitled to something, but that depends on household income. Like for my undergrad course, i wasn't entitled to any GRANT but i was entitled to a LOAN. There's a difference. I don't think the £30k thing applies to the loan. At least I hope not! My parents earn over that much but can't afford to help me out :S

7. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

When I did the online grant calculation it didn't ask about parental income - I think if you've been self-supporting for 3 years then it's not acknowledged.
    The simple answer to parents that live far away is to go to a PGCE near their house and live with them.
    No, it's not an option for me either.
    I'm not saying I agree with this, I think these changes are detrimental to our future teachers in the country and we will see the fallout for at least a generation. But this is the way it is and we have to find a way round it.

8. Is it just me or has this turned into a game of who's the worst off one-upmanship? How about we just agree that Gove's screwed us all and try to find some practical solutions? Does anyone know if doing the PGCE makes you eligable for a Career Development Loan?

9. harderfaster

I know. I'll repost what I posted a page back:

Tuition fees of ~£3.5k, covered by tuition fee loan.
    Accommodation for a year of ~£4k, covered by maintenance loan.

Living costs for a year (including transport to placements etc), previously covered by bursary, which is now non-existent for many. That's the major issue. If you don't qualify for a maintenance grant then you're a bit screwed.

10. I had an interview for drama secondary pgce place in early december and I found out I had a conditional offer the next day. Due to all of the cuts in places (apart from the financial cuts) I'm worried I won't be offered my place. Dose anyone
    know how much Drama has been cut?

Also due to lack of bursary, how do I find out what else I am entailed to apply for? What entitles you to a maintanence grant for example?

Also when should I start applying for loans and grants? Should I wait til I get my place confirmation?

Apologies for all of the questions - just slightly worried!

11. harderfaster

MARKDAN, that should answer your first question. It was posted a few pages back but since then the threads been filled with irrelevant bickering (myself included) so there you go! English/Drama is up, but it's not clear whether English is up and Drama is down or visa versa.
    In answer to your second question, google 'student finance' and all the information you need is on there. You can't apply for the loans etc yet but apparently you will be able to soon.

12. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Just spoke to Student Finance England - you can apply from 16th March, whether your place is confirmed by then or not.

13. MARKDAN where have you got an offer at? Go onto the directgov website and you can fill in a request to get a loan for your PGCE placement. Its pretty straightforward and quick to do. You will need your old student ID number if you ever took a loan out for an undergraduate course as they store alot of your details already.

14. harderfaster

Well that's silly. My letter says 'apply soon to ensure you get funding' (and that was sent in December!). Madness!

15. There is some inaccurate information here.
    Student Support for 2011/12 is virtually unchanged from 2010/11.
    You get full maintenance grant of £2,906 for a household income up to £25,000. Beyond that it's gradually reduced until the income reaches £50,020, when you get £50. More than that and you get nothing.
    For maintenance loan, how much you get depends on your household income and how much maintenance grant you get. So for up to £25k income, you get £3,497 in loan and full grant. You get more in loan as your grant is reduced, until you reach income of £50,020, when you get £4,925 in loan and £50 in grant. At £50,778 you get the maximum loan of £4,950. Beyond that, your maximum loan is reduced until your income reaches £57,708, when you get the minimum loan of £3,564, and you are entitled to that no matter what the income is beyond that. The amounts quoted are for those living away from (parental) home and studying outside London.
    You get Special Support Grant instead of maintenance grant if you fall into certain categories, like single parent, registered disabled or FT student couple with children. Then the amount of grant doesn't reduce the maximum loan you can get. Furthermore, special support grant doesn't count as income for means-testing and you can still apply for other benefits like housing, which other students can't.
    In addition, if you get maximum grant, your uni will chip in with their bursary of £338. Some are more generous than that. Most unis charge the tuition fee of £3,375, for which you can get a loan up to the full amount regardless of income.

16. Wow its even more complicated than I imagined! So to clarify - (apologies for being a bit slow!)
    I am 32, married, renting a flat in north london. My wife's income is around £20k,and mine fluctuates as I do freelance
    work. I would be entitled to get a maintenance grant/loan and student loan. I can apply for loan in March but when and how
    can I apply for the maintenance grant/loan? I have a conditional offer and so am waiting to hear if it is to be confirmed.
    Also how much of a bursary would I have been looking at if they hadn't been scrapped?

17. I also have a quick question, can you get a maintenance grant, without applying for the student loan or maintenance loan.
    Just I have saved enough money myself whilst at uni to pay for the PGCE itself, just don't have any money to life on and obviously would prefer not to take out another loan.

18. Your income during the course doesn't count, as it's regarded as spare-time earnings. Your wife's during the tax year 2009-10 needs to be declared. You apply for your student support - grant and loans - at the same time, in March when the application opens. If you are studying in London, you get a higher amount than the one I quoted.
    Your bursary depends on your subject and phase, and varies from £4k to £9k.

19. Yes, you can - just don't complete the loan request form in the application pack/online system. You still have to disclose your financial information, as grant is income-dependent.
    If at a later date you do want to take out loans, you can complete the loan request form and send it in, even after your course has started.

20. Oh that's good news. Thank you.