1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries and Training places

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Rodgered, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Please don't apologise, we all lead very different lives and I can understand how cutbacks will have different meanings to everyone! I don't have a mortgage, so my home is relatively safe with a Housing Association as long as the rent is paid, but I do have all the normal household bills, I know how lucky I am that I only pay £371 per month for 3 bed house when I have friends who have mortgages of £800-1000 and there is no way I could even consider a PGCE if that were the case for us. I am genuinely envious of how wonderful your life sounds, I really wish my worries were as 'simple' as yours - in reality you know those things can be lived without - but at the time of writing they were obviously things that concerned you and that is fair enough.
    I've written many things on here that I wish I could take back, but then I figure honesty is actually the best policy!
    Best of luck to you too, I guess you'll be the one in the charity shop dress with scraggy nails and unkempt hair by this time next year!! [​IMG])

2. Gosh. One day away from my computer and everything falls apart.

I'm 30 years old. I want to teach very much. But no bursaries and possibly no places? I can't wait to see how this pans out in a couple of years. I guess it's good we're going to have a couple of weeks before the places are confirmed with the ITT providers. I need some time to get my head around whether it's even doable any more.

3. Thanks Stacey!
    Yeah I could not imagine doing a PGCE whilst having a mortgage to pay.
    Ahaha yeah [​IMG] that'll be me!! Hopefully the grunge look will be back in! Where are you doing your PGCE at?
    Yeah heres hoping I get lucky!

4. I have a 'conditional on funding' offer from Devon Primary SCITT, I am pretty sure I want to focus on KS2, probably lower KS2 - but let's see how I feel when I get into the schools!
    It's all very exciting for me, I've worked bloomin hard to get here, and am determined to do anything within my means to make sure this happens, so as many problems as Gove throws at me I will come up with the solutions, even if it means living off beans on toast for a year and pimping out my partner!!

5. That's the spirit Stacey1004!!
    Mr Gove can take away the bursary but he'll never diminish my desire to teach.
    With all due respect to people listing problems/barriers, we live in relative peace and prosperity in comparison to the vast majority of the world's population so get your chin up off the floor and make it happen.

6. Agreed. People on here are so much more mature and 'with it'. I also follow another forum on which I posted a similar comment about the bursary cuts and how I would explore every avenue possible to me regarding funding in order to make this PGCE happen in September. I said I couldn't understand why so many people are crying about not being able to do it now, because if it means that much to you then you find a way, like taking out another loan or applying for funding from charities and special organisations. I got my head bitten off for insinuating some people have a lack of passion for education. I'm very financially disadvantaged but funding was/is never going to stop me studying. If other people have a different view then fine, but I don't have a go at me for my view! Glad people on this forum have a more measured and enthusiastic attitude to studying! :)

7. One way of looking at this situation is that you will have one year of financial pain but potentially 30 - 50 years of teaching ahead of you to enjoy. You weigh it up.
    If you are short of money and give in before you have started then the Tories have won their battle of keeping those that are struggling at the bottom.
    Personally, im not going to let them win. Student loan(s) here we come.

8. Its really worrying, so thought id go and have a look at the gov website. the bursary is on top of the basic loans and grants etc.
    not sure if this link will work, but hopefully it will. If you have a low income there is a maintenance grant available, also if you have dependants you can in some circumstances claim imcome support.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Applyingforthefirsttime/DG_171531
    yes having more loans is more debt and i wish it wasnt the case. I hope that it gives a few people a way of doing their pgce.

9. The thing is, even that generally isn't really enough, depending on where you are. The Manchester site for example lists the average living costs for 40 weeks as £8000 in total, even with the maximum loan and maintenance grant, it's still a little over £1000 short of that.

10. I think people wailing too much need to realise why the bursaries were brought in.
    They were to stop the decline in the number of people applying to become teachers when so many other, more lucrative, options were available for graduates. They were very successful.
    But the current economic situation means that teaching is a much more attractive proposition than when the bursaries came in. The only difficulty is in encouraging people with very commercially attractive degrees such as maths and sciences to move into teaching. These bursaries are therefore remaining.
    It's much easier to get people with tinpot social sciences degrees (like mine) to apply to teaching. So the government has little need to spend money that it just doesn't have on these bursaries.
    The government is in debt to the tune of £2.3trillion. Spending money that it doesn't need to is not sustainable. If the applications fall off a cliff, the bursaries will return. But being a primary school teacher or an English teacher remains a jolly attractive job to many people. I wouldn't expect the training providers to struggle to fill their places following this announcement.

11. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

Tuition fees of ~£3.5k, covered by tuition fee loan.
    Accommodation for a year of ~£4k, covered by maintenance loan.
    Living costs for a year (including transport to placements etc), previously covered by bursary, which is now non-existent for many. That's the major issue. If you don't qualify for a maintenance grant then you're a bit screwed.

12. I think one of the reasons people are so upset and angry is down to the timing of this announcement. If the cuts are necessary then so be it. But to annouce it when people are already half way through the process, when they've applied, had interviews, been offered conditional places etc is like pulling the rug out from under them. There's no time to plan. I've read posts on here where people have said they've given up on permanent jobs because they were planning on going to University this year. People have literally planned their lives around the possibility of undertaking their teacher training this year and, whether the government believes they're entitled to it or not, to suddenly annouce that trainee teachers are going to have £6000 - £9000 less than they thought they were going to at seven months notice makes things very difficult for a lot of people

13. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Being the devil's advocate here....but surely if you dont qualify for a maintenance grant then you have funds to support you/are able to live without paying rent somehow?
    On the student finance site it says I can get a maintenance loan of c£3k and a grant of the same amount. Not enough to pay rent, bills etc but the rest I'll have to save til then (somehow, god knows how!!!) - pull another 3k from somewhere! London rent grrrr
    I dont have dependents or a disability, think its cos my husband is on a low income. Don't know what the threshold is, anyone know?

14. So basically, we're now in the same situation as all the other students in the UK that only get loans and no grants. I survived my 3 year undergrad degree on basic loans...that's all i was entitled to, and didn't have help from parents. Don't think we should be complaining, as at least we can get a loan...a lot of masters/postgrad courses don't even qualify for loans!

15. That's not true- people my age (21/22) are usually assessed by their parents income... if there parents earn above 50,000 between the two of them doesn't mean they are going to pay your rent!!!! They are more likely using it to pay for themselves to live!

16. josiejosie

josiejosie New commenter

Me too, but the difference is that most undergrad degrees allow a part time job on the side, which is what got me through it. But with a PGCE it's too full-on to work as well.

17. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

No, if your household income (including parents or siblings) is greater than £30k then you don't qualify for a maintenance grant. My 'household' is a hundred miles away from where I'm studying so living without paying rent isn't exactly viable. Just because my household income is greater than £30k doesn't mean I have funds to support me does it? It's not hard.

18. I agree Ladymildred. The bursary isn't what bothers me I can get a loan apply for a grant and save more money then I have been. Most other professions don't give you money to train in something you really want to do in the first place.
    My problem is that they cut my course all together, I just want the chance to get QTS THAT IS ALL GOVE!!!!!!!