1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bursaries and Training places

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Rodgered, Jan 31, 2011.

1. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Wow, bad news! Sounds like they've finally decided the money for universities, so places should start being handed out soon, but that's not any good for those relying on the bursary,

2. That is simply crazy. I mean surely thousands will drop out if this is the case. I mean I will be down £6000 all of a sudden plus if I apply next year the fee's will have gone up to £9000. Its crazy.

3. Well, i agree its a bit rubbish for those people who have planned on having a signifiacnt bursary but I'm far worried about courses actually running in september.
    What I can't quite get my head round is that if the following is true:
    "Mary Bousted, the general secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, warned that cuts this year would create staff shortages in two or three years' time."
    then why would secondary training places be cut and primary increased?
    "The Daily Telegraph understands that the number of secondary training places will be cut by 14 per cent in 2011/12. At the same time, primary school training places will increase by six per cent. "
    Surely its obvious that these increased numbers of primary aged kids is going to impact on secondary schools in a few years time and therefore if we train less secondary teachers we may then have a staff shortage when they do move up from primary schools?
    I do hope this is a hint that we all might finally find out about our places although much of it is still worded loosley and nothing has come directly from the government/ TDA/ DfE (or whoever it should be coming from!)
    Fingers crossed!

4. Ya that is very true, are they exepcting all students to stop going to school after primary? Its crazy. I was worried about a cut in the bursary but a complete abolishment. Surely they could come to some agreement where by there is a loan system available similar to the one for fees? It will have to be somthing like that or i'll sleeping in a tent.

5. Well that's just great. Whata mixed bag of news! Increased primary places is great for me, as that's what I want. But to lost the £4000 bursary that I would have been entitled to, that's really not good news at all. I don't think I can afford to do a PGCE without it. The only way that I could would be if I was living with my parents and that's just not an option. Let's hope there's official announcements soon.

6. Its great news for primary applicants as they are only abolishing the secondary bursaries. The list is further down the article.

7. likejesus

likejesus New commenter

Yes, it certainly seems as if primary bursaries have been spared.

"The Government will also announce the abolition of the £6,000 bursary for
    those training to teach English, geography, history, classics, business
    studies, religious education, design and technology, information and
    communication technology, art, dance, music, drama and media studies."

8. Maybe I misunderstood then. I took it as all bursaries are abolished, bar a few subjects such as engineering and MFL

9. I've got a conditional place on a secondary subject, although i'm disappointed if I do not get the bursary I can get over that. But to cut the places all together will be a shambles. What happens in 4/5 years time when all those primary school children are now in secondary school and there isnt enough teachers trained to teach them.
    With this current government im also pretty much sure that immigration will be capped and more things put in place to not allow so many people in the country, therefore the amount of children being born will also drop so what will they do then? Stop all primary training??

10. At last an announcement! Although it's not great news for those relying on bursaries. I'm hoping the schools will start giving places now. It's a shame that some people will have to abandon teacher training due to lack of funding. I'm applying for a GTP and hope the government really means it when they say :
    "Mr Gove has said in the past that more teachers should be trained on the job rather than on university courses."
    Does that mean more places on GTP courses? Let's hope so.
    Good luck to all anyway with getting on teacher training.

11. I still can't beleive it was fully abolished. It should have been halfed and then totally cut out or slowly phased out anyway. People depend on that money, where the hell am i going to get an extra 6 grand between now and september, especially in this climate. Christ on a bike.

12. Hi Rodgered -
    Just wondering where you have got the news of the cuts for funding for PGCE places from? I have been looking all over the news and internet and can't see anything about it?
    Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

13. Well we don't know anything for certain yet.

Let's wait for the TDA to make an official announcement, hopefully The Telegraph have got it wrong.

14. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8292053/Showdown-looming-over-cuts-in-teacher-training.html

15. I'm so glad I am a linguist, so I can still get the bursary :D
    Unlucky for those who aren't mathematicians, scientists or linguists though.

16. I think it will mean more places for SCITTs, but for GTPs the funding has to come from a school that is willing to pay your wages for that year.
    They may get a grant towards the cost of your training, and even less likely a contribution to your salary, but these places are far and few between. Particularly with schools running very tight budgets, they have to pay you and give a member of teaching staff extra non-teaching time to mentor you, which is a considerable cost to the school. This funding is also only available to state-maintained schools, so I don't know where academies will fit into this as I don't believe they will be eligible for any funding towards a GTP. I could be wrong, but that's my understanding after looking into GTPs for myself last year.
    As for the changes in training places we all need to remember that this is in response to what is needed NOW and in the immediate future, the places next year are likely to change again, as they should year upon year. I think it's sensible to make some of these changes as some subjects are already heavily oversubscribed with hundreds of teachers struggling to find permanent work. The 'baby-boomers' mean a flood of primary children over the next few years which will filter upwards obviously, but in a time of cutbacks do we need to train secondary teachers now when there is actually a dip in secondary age children for the next few years? In the school I work in the current Year 7 are undersubscribed for the first time in years and the figures show it might be similar next year, and we are a school with an excellent reputation where students travel far and wide to come to, so we are certainly seeing the dip already. If secondary teachers in oversubscribed subjects are trained this year they might find themselves unemployed for the next 4 until the baby-boomers move up through the education system.
    I think getting rid of the bursaries is very harsh, but then it will sort out those that WANT to teach from those that aren't really sure what to do with their degree. The golden hellos while an incentive to some shouldn't really be, again if you WANT to be a teacher why do you need that cash incentive, surely the incentive is educating children and making a difference.

17. harderfaster

harderfaster New commenter

...or it will sort those who can afford to from those who can't afford to?

Do we want to be in a situation where there is a surplus of teachers, the least capable of whom will remain, as you say, unemployed, or do we want to be in situation where schools are forced to employ sub-par teachers because there are only 'enough to go around'?

18. Hi all

Glad to have a little bit of info at last! At least some decisions are being made.
    I just want to know either way so i can get on with my life.

I must say that I am not suprised about the bursaries going but as a working mum with a mortgage and childcare to pay, i cant cope without the income. I will have to take a personal loan out to cover my living costs whilst studying. I guess we have been lucky for years as there are not many professions that pay you to train! I wonder if they will increase salaries to cover the additional cost in training? HMMMMM....... I doubt it. Most post grad jobs start at £25 000 as an absolute minimum.
    Its not about getting extra money, its simply about being able to afford to live during the year. I have always wanted to be a teacher and my husband supports my decision. Without a doubt my family will suffer next year. (providing i get a place)

Good luck to everyone in securing a place!

Jem x