1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Burnt Sugar!!!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Aug 13, 2011.

1. OMG I have just tasted burnt sugar and it is truly vile - I can't get the taste out of my mouth.
    Why you ask am I tasting burnt sugar?
    Well the truth of it is I was trying to make a creation similar to James Martin's spirals of sugar! Ha! it sounded so simple and I've seen him do it loads of times on telly. Well let me tell you it is damn hard.
    I have never made anything remotely resembling melted sugar before so I was pleased to begin with but then I couldn't make it into 'spun' sugar so thought I would settle for some kind of caramel crispy bits. But when I tasted it yuk yuk yuk!

Any tips from the experts out there?

2. OMG I have just tasted burnt sugar and it is truly vile - I can't get the taste out of my mouth.
    Why you ask am I tasting burnt sugar?
    Well the truth of it is I was trying to make a creation similar to James Martin's spirals of sugar! Ha! it sounded so simple and I've seen him do it loads of times on telly. Well let me tell you it is damn hard.
    I have never made anything remotely resembling melted sugar before so I was pleased to begin with but then I couldn't make it into 'spun' sugar so thought I would settle for some kind of caramel crispy bits. But when I tasted it yuk yuk yuk!

Any tips from the experts out there?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Sugar thermometer? You need to remove from the heat before it's the colour you want as sugar does continue cooking!!

4. Thank you lapinrose, I haven't got a thermometre but I think I will have another try tomorrow.

5. Thermometers used to be very expensive but you can buy them quite cheaply now - Dunelm do a nice one with their new jam making bits!