1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Burnt pan

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by wineisgreat, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Can anyone help? My daughter tried to make some fudge and burnt it and I can't get the burnt bit off the bottom of the pan. Not burnt through or anything but solid circle at bottom. have tried to scrub it off and left it to soak for days but it is not working. Does anyone know any magic cures?I'm hoping there might be something easy that I just did not know about?
    Thank you for any replies

2. Can anyone help? My daughter tried to make some fudge and burnt it and I can't get the burnt bit off the bottom of the pan. Not burnt through or anything but solid circle at bottom. have tried to scrub it off and left it to soak for days but it is not working. Does anyone know any magic cures?I'm hoping there might be something easy that I just did not know about?
    Thank you for any replies

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Assume it's not a non-stick saucepan?
    If it isn't, shallow-fill with water, add a good amount of bicarb, bring to boil for about ten minutes (you can try scraping at it with a wooden spooon or spatula whilst it's boiling). Leave to sit overnight and then go like hell at it with some wire wool. Should do the trick, if not then repeat.
    If it is non-stick, then it's not worth trying to rescue as you'll scratch the Teflon off. Throw it away if this is the case.

4. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

add a can of of coke/pepsi/ et al and boil it for a few minutes or put in 2 spoons of washing powder and water and simmer on a hob for a while.

5. sep2

sep2 New commenter

I always do the washpowder trick

6. Yes, washing powder works a treat. Fill the pan with water (and washing powder), bring to the boil then leave to simmer for around half an hour.

7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Biological washing powder works a treat but do NOT boil it!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

If it's non-stick the fudge won't have stuck in the first place!

9. Speaking from experience (did the same thing at xmas) Cilit Bang grime and lime spray till whole bottom is covered and then leave for an hour.Will clean off easy peasy x

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Oh, I've stuck stuff to non-stick before, Belle. Non-stick is a misnomer where burnt sugar is concerned!

11. Thank you so much for all your suggestions. It was not a non stick pan, by the way. Anyway I tried the washing powder suggestion (as that is what I had to hand) and it worked brilliantly. Pan looks like new and it worked very quickly- 10 mins??
    So thank you to everyone!

12. Wotworklifebalance

Wotworklifebalance New commenter

I'll have to give this trick a go as my daughter burnt some rice ages ago and there are still nasty black marks which just aren't coming off.