1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Burns Day lesson

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by emmacoull, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone had any lesson ideas to do during the week of Burns Day
    Thanks

2. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Organise your own, class Burn's Supper after getting the children to find out from their parents, and grandparents, what they remember.
    It's a great opportunity for pupils to learn, and recite, some of Burn's poetry and songs, or short extracts where this is too much of a challenge.
    Investigate where Burns lived during his life and where statues have been erected to his memory.
    Find out what goes into making a haggis and why this type of diet was necessary for working people in Burn's day, not forgetting the tatties and neeps.
    Have the children dress up for the occasion and prepare singing, and dancing, to celebrate.
    Re-arrange the classroom tables and don't forget to invite the HT etc to join you for the supper and entertainment.
    Re-enact the address to the haggis. The words can be read by a number of children, with one, trusted pupil given the task of plunging in the dagger. (A less dangerous implement can be substituted if a risk assessment demands it.)
    I'm sure there are lots of other ideas, not forgetting of course the story of Tam o'Shanter!
    www.robertburns.org.uk/Assets/Poems_Songs/tamoshanter.htm

3. Thanks so much for all of your ideas

4. Chatterbox1607

Chatterbox1607 New commenter

I too posted up the same topic haha. I need some quick ideas as I dont have much time to plan it sadly.