1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Burgundy book

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 9497, Feb 14, 2016.

1. 9497

9497 New commenter

I am starting to think that the Burgundy book must be magic. I get the impression that it contains what ever answers the member of SLT wishes. I have been told that according to the burgundy book I can be ordered to work on my half days off for no extra money as I would be in school anyway (like I would). Expected to attend parents evenings on my day off for nothing (in fairness this didn't happen and something was sorted, plus I actually enjoy parents evenings). Oh and have my hours reduced without consent.

Is it really magic?

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

You sound like you are being lied to by your HT.

Contact your union.

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Hmmm...not liking what I am hearing here...

What I am not liking is:

1) being ordered to work on your half days off;
    2) being told you have to attend parents' evenings on your days off
    3) having your hours reduced

Can you tell us more without revealing your identity?

Have I inferred correctly that you are part-time? What kind of school is it? Is there a term in your contract which says that the employer can vary your hours? If so, what does it say?

Burgundy book does not allow employers to breach employment law.

4. 9497

9497 New commenter

Lied to by my head, NEVER! I was given time in lieu when I had to come in on my morning off. it remains to be seen if I can claim it. Any more would identify me. As a result of other issues I am leaving the job (and I am not using profession deliberately) hopefully in August but if my hand gets forced (informal capability wrapped up as support) as soon as I can. This will remove the issue of my hours being reduced rather effectively!

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

A particularly creative interpretation by your SLT considering that those matters are dealt with in STPCD and are nothing to do with the Burgundy Book! STPCD, unlike the Burgundy Book, is a statutory Regulation so it has the force of law.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    nomad likes this.