1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

burgundy book - maternity

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by GTP-er, Oct 13, 2008.

1. I've tried to find an online and up-to-date version of the 'burgundy book' but haven't managed it yet, hence my posting...

I was been employed as a teacher in one, LA primary from 1st Sept 2002 until 31st Aug 2008. On 1st Sept 2008 I moved to a new post (still as a teacher) in another school (also LA). However, the move has also taken me from one LA to a neighbouring one. I am pregnant with an EWC of 1st June 2009 and intend to start maternity leave on the Sunday closest to the date as it's around the half-term break.

What I would like to know is which category of the 'burgundy book' conditions would I come under (and what would that mean I am entitled to in terms of the different levels of maternity pay)? I've had a look on the tesfaq site but ended up completely confused with all the '15 weeks before this' and '26 weeks into that' so really need someone to spell it out to me!

Thank you!

2. I've tried to find an online and up-to-date version of the 'burgundy book' but haven't managed it yet, hence my posting...

I was been employed as a teacher in one, LA primary from 1st Sept 2002 until 31st Aug 2008. On 1st Sept 2008 I moved to a new post (still as a teacher) in another school (also LA). However, the move has also taken me from one LA to a neighbouring one. I am pregnant with an EWC of 1st June 2009 and intend to start maternity leave on the Sunday closest to the date as it's around the half-term break.

What I would like to know is which category of the 'burgundy book' conditions would I come under (and what would that mean I am entitled to in terms of the different levels of maternity pay)? I've had a look on the tesfaq site but ended up completely confused with all the '15 weeks before this' and '26 weeks into that' so really need someone to spell it out to me!

Thank you!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The Burgundy book cares not a jot for which LEA you work, merely that you have continuous service with on or more LEAs.
    Therefore you should be in category A, getting the full entitlement.

4. Hooray! Thank you so much for putting my mind at rest[​IMG]

5. Are you sure that you can still take full maternity leave, even if you have moved schools?
    I thought you had to have one year continous service in one school before you can take full maternity leave?
    Please clarify?
    Thanks

6. how dare you question tafkam (and the burgundy book)

Teachers who have completed not less than 1 year?s continuous service as a teacher with one or more LEAs at the beginning of the 11th week before the EWC shall have an entitlement:
    (a)
    to 18 weeks? leave of absence with pay (as set out in paragraph 8 below); and
    (b)
    to take additional leave for up to 29 weeks counting from the beginning of the week (i.e. the Saturday/Sunday night) in which her childbirth occurs.

8. Maternity pay
    8.1 Payments for teachers who have less than 1 years? continuous service as a teacher with one or more LEAs at the beginning of the 11th week before the EWC shall be their entitlement to Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) only.
    Payment of salary to a teacher who has completed not less than 1 year?s continuous service as a teacher with one or more LEAs at the beginning of the 11th week before the EWC shall be in accordance with the provisions set out below and shall be made on the condition that she will be available, or able, to return to work for the required period specified in paragraph 5 above.
    8.3 A teacher shall be entitled to maternity pay as follows:
    (a) A teacher eligible for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) will have the payments made in the first six weeks of absence offset against the payments made under b) and c) below.
    (b) For the first four weeks of absence - full pay, offset against payments made by way of SMP or Maternity Allowance (MA) for employees not eligible for SMP.
    (c) For the next two weeks of absence - 9/10ths of a week?s salary, offset against payments made by way of SMP or Maternity Allowance (MA) for employees not eligible for SMP.
    (d) For the next 12 weeks of paid absence, half pay without deductions except by the extent to which the combined pay and SMP (or, if not eligible for SMP, maternity allowance and any dependants? allowances) exceeds full pay.
    (e) No pay for any remaining period of absence up to the date of return notified by the teacher.

7. Thank you, so you can work in different LAs over the time before your maternity leave and still take the full entitlement.

8. that's what 8.2 says

9. tafkam

Thank you for leaping to my defence, examinations - and for the supporting evidence.
    I really do think the Burgundy book should be more widely available in a nationally published online place for such matters.

10. like here maybe

http://www.atl.org.uk/Images/Burgundy%20book.pdf

11. tafkam

*Ahem*
    Yes... I was just checking you knew obviously [​IMG]
    It says a lot though, doesn't it? I consider myself to be something of a stickler for knowing the rules, and I didn't even know it was available there. Where does that leave most teachers who don't think about it from day to day.
    Thanks for drawing attention to it, examinations!

12. to be fair, they have only recently revamped the website - it is reasonably usable now! (unlike the previous version)

13. fringe

fringe New commenter

I need to know the exact terms and conditions for part-time teachers (eg training days/non-contact lessons, etc.) Does the Burgundy book cover that?

(I have visited the site recommended on this thread but could not find anything at all on part-time work).

14. no,that will be in STPCD

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=12833

15. fringe

fringe New commenter

Thanks examinations

16. fringe

fringe New commenter

Have just had a look at that document re part-timers (page 101) but it seems to be all about pay.

Where can I find out about contractual pro-rata/proportion of non-contact times, duties, training days, parents' evenings, etc. as a part-time teacher (obligations and rights) or is there no such thing?

17. p183 et seq - especially para 133

p190 et seq esp paras 159 161 162 163

18. fringe

fringe New commenter

Thanks examinations, I'll have a look at the doc. So there's no need to download the PDF, is there? (for some reason my PC won't let me download it easily)

Does the PDF cover all the Word documents?

19. Does the PDF cover all the Word documents?

yes

20. This is an updated panic related to my original one... today I received an application for maternity leave from the LA. Although it mentions continuous service it includes a clause about teachers having worked for the current employer for 26 weeks by week 25 of the pregnanct being the only ones eligible for SMP.

I called HR/Personnel to query this and had it confirmed that because I started working for this borough on 1st September 2008 and my EDD has been calculated as being 30th May 2009 I am two days short of being entitled to SMP! This will have an enormous impact upon my finances. The lady I spoke to did say that she thinks she could may an exception given that it's a couple of days and that babies don't generally arrive on the EDD but that's obviously not a guarantee so she's suggested I try to have the EDD changed back to its original date (2nd June). This Tuesday I will be seeing the midwife and should be getting my MATB1 - I'm hoping to persuade her to alter the due date but would still like to know if my borough are right about the SMP entitlement.