1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bunny shelter

Discussion in 'Personal' started by adamse1, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Has anyone any ideas of things i could use to make bunny a little shelter inside for the night?
    He is an outdoor bunny, and has been out there since he was born, has lots of hay, and a cover on his hutch, but I am feeling guilty because of the snow.....
    Or do you think he will be ok?
    Thanks in advance!
    mimi

2. Hi Mimi,

I really think that I would bring your bunny in for the night as it is so very, very cold! Have you got an collapseable run that you could bring indoors with newspaper underneath and hay etc? If not what about a washing basket or allowing your bunny to have the run of the bathroom with newspaper down on the floor? I think that you should try to keep the room fairly cool that bunny is in so as it will be feel very warm compared to outside! If you don't bring you bunny in can you put blankets over the roof of the hutch and draped over the front? ??

I hope that your bunny is comfortable whatever you do. It is so thoughtful of you as many people wouldn't give 'outside' pets another thought.

Stay warm ?

3. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Bring him into the kitchen. Make him a comfy corner. Bring some of his dirty hay in a box so that he knows that's where his toilet is. Ensure there is nothing in his reach to eat, especially wire cables which bunnies love. Let him be a house bunny. It's too cold outside and bunnies get lonely. He'll love you company. I have giant bunnies that live indoors!

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

Ours is still in his hutch (hasn't slept anywhere else since we got him 5 years ago) with plenty of hay, a big bowl of food an a piece of carpet over he hutch to keep the snow off.
    He has survived the past few hard winters (including 2 years ago when his hutch was buried!) - they are outdoor animals, not house pets!

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Actually bunnies are very intelligent creatures and it's cruel to keep them on their own and without company. In the wild they live in communities and are not solitary creatures. They live very happily indoors with human company and it's not unreasonable to bring an outdoor bunny indoors during cold weather. They are easily trained to use a litter tray and mine will take themselves back to their place from anywhere in the house, to use it. They respond to commands and can learn tricks. My rabbits live until they are 10+ years old. It's like having permanent puppies around the place.

6. They make great house pets and are very sociable.

7. It's not so much the cold that does for Bugs it's draughts and damp. So long as he is dry and draught proofed he should be fine with a load of extra hay and a thick cover over his hutch.
    Having said that ours does have a copper hot water bottle at night when he goes to bed. Just make sure you check the water bottle regularly or freezing.