1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bungee Jumping - would you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by musings85, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I have just booked to do my first bungee jump - the uk's highest jump at 300ft. But since then I've made the stupid error of googling bungee jump accidents and am now more than a little bit nervous!
    I've done a skydive so I've a little bit of experience with high adrenaline jumps but just wondered if anybody can reassure me of tales of bungee jumps that have been completely safe and enjoyable?!

2. My son did one in New Zealand on his gap year; I was pleased to see the DVD when he was home safe and sound!!

3. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I can't. One of my sons bungy jumped and suffered internal bleeding in his eyes and, the doctor said, came very close to a detached retina due to the deceleration at the bottom.
    Also, why trust your life to some kid who has set up the damm thing!? You have no idea as to his or her competence. If you must go for adrenaline rushes, do something that you are in control of, rather than allowing somebody who dosen't even have a proper job to call the shots. Ask yourself, what personality type would want to spend their working life on a bungy jump?

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

<a title=" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA0EXjIoVWk" target="_blank">
    [/URL]
    I have done ths one
    it was scary

5. That sounds awful....I'm immediately regretting my decision!!

6. lurk_much

I wouldn't bungee jump
    I have trust issues

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not me.
    I know too much about what could go wrong. Not major accidents, but spinal injury and damage to the eyes as the result of a 'successful' jump.
    See:
    Vanderford, L. and Meyers M. Injuries and Bungee Jumping. Sports Med. 20 (6): 369-374,1995.

Hite PM, Greene KA, Levy DI, et al. Injuries Resulting from bungee cord jumping. Ann Emerg Med 1993; 22 (6) : 137-140.

Habib NE , Malik TY. Visual loss from bungee jumping. Lancet 1994; 343 (8895): 487.

8. It's not so much the worry about faulty equipment for me.....you are checked by 5 separate people before you jump and you wear both an ankle harness and a back up waist harness which are connected at two different points. The worry for me is about health issues resulting from the free fall and deceleration. Will do some more research!

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

See the links above.

10. lurk_much

I think free fall can give you osteoporosis after several years
    Deceleration, well, you takes your chances.
    If you do the bridge jump I linked to I don't think it even approaches 2g

11. No, I wouldn't bungee. No way.
    I just. Don't. Get it.

12. lurk_much

what about jumping off the swings in the playground when you were a wee nipper?

13. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Senior commenter

No, pointless waste of time.

14. There's a rather massive difference between five feet and - what's the usual bungee drop? I don't know - but you get the point.

15. Usual is about 160ft but one I've gone for is 300ft. In Switzerland there's one a 1000ft!! But yes CK, I do get your point. I just enjoy the fear of doing something scary and the satisfaction at the end. The free fall whilst doing the skydive was exhilarating and loved every second. A bungee jump seemed like the next logical step??!!
    Although I think statistically I'm much more likely to be harmed in a car accident travelling to the bungee jump than doing the jump itself [​IMG]

16. I get my jollies in more mundane ways. I just can't get addicted to adrenalin.Or don't want to.

I don't wanna diiiie!!! I'm too young, gorgeous and talented. It'd be such a waste.

17. That's more positive
    Chances of dying in bungee jump, 1 in 500,000.
    Life time risk of fying in car crash, 1in 200.

18. Yes, yes.

Very logical, obviously.

But fear isn't logical.

19. Thank you - I feel much better!

20. I think you will find it usually is.