1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bump size

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by ladymarm, Apr 27, 2011.

1. The people who you meet on the street are generally not midwives or medical professionals. Take what they say with a pinch of salt (I know it can be a bit upsetting as i am quite large now at 3 weeks and it's because my baby has some medical problems so hate the little comments from people who have no idea what we are going through at the moment!).
    If you are concerned about your size/weight talk to your midwife as she/he will give you an informed answer. People don't mean any harm but everyone looks different, puts on different amounts of weight etc. if your midwife/GP think your baby is going to be large they will suggest growth scans and will monitor you carefully so please don't worry!

2. That should say 32 weeks ,not 3 !!
    PS Your midwife will measure your bump with a tape measure and tell you your measurement and also if it is a bit big/small. Even this measurement must be taken with a pinch of salt. One day two weeks ago i was measured in hospital 3 times in one afternoon by 3 professionals and got told 3 measurements varying from 31 cm to 36cm - a big difference.

3. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

Well you're 'supposed' to be the corresponding number of cm to weeks pregnant from about 24 weeks I think. I was constantly told how big my bump was or how neat I was etc. Etc. My midwife always told me I was measuring 4cm bigger than I should. I asked her what this meant and she said I was going to have a very big baby. I had put on 3 stone by the very end of my pregnancy (and I was 2 weeks overdue). So anyway my baby was 8lb 15oz at nearly 42 weeks which is hardly huge! He is very long though and I have a short body so it's no wonder my bump stuck out. I haven't been left with a giant belly and have about 1.5 stone to lose to get back to pre pregnancy weight. Basically what I'm trying to say is ignore comments about the size of your bump, besides the fact it's rather rude, every woman and every pregnancy is different. Enjoy your lovely bump as you'll miss it when it's gone!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm nearly 12 weeks pregnant but I look more like I'm at least 4-4 1/2 months pregnant. My bump has really popped out in the last few weeks. I've had a few comments made by friends and family but I've just shrugged them off. I love my bump and what it represents!
    My Mum-in-Law has been joyfully telling me about her pregnancies - all of her babies were big so I think she's trying to indicate that this baby might be a big one!

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I wouldn't worry about it! I'm due on Saturday and people in shops and so on have been commenting on my bump, and then people I know compare it to when I was pregnant with my son too. People either say your bump is big or small, so you can't win! And this time either my bump is bigger or smaller than last time!
    I'm measuring the exact amount of cm for the weeks i am, and the midwife reckons this baby will be about 8lbs 7. My son was 10 days late and 7lbs 13.
    Everyone carries differently too, and some people have more fluid than others which makes a difference.

6. I agree with kittenjames -
    I always measured 4cm to big - I had LO at 36 weeks measuring 40cm and had a 5lb 15oz LO. Enjoy your pregnancy and try and ignore what people say to you. Everyone is different
    x

7. Don't let it worry you. Everyone's bodies are all different shapes and sizes, all progress at different times and all have different sized babies from premature to overdue babies and it all works out in the end.

I'm 24 weeks and I get a variety of 'you haven't grown much', 'wow you're massive' or 'that's a very neat/small bump' !!! Just goes to show that everyone's views are different. Physically, sometimes size changes due to fluids, movement etc and sometimes it's just simply the type of clothes you wear!

Ignore, ignore, ignore those people and ENJOY your pregnancy.

8. I am 24wks and measured 24wks at midwife appointment this week. However I have been yold by different people my bump looks small for 24 wks although it has really popped recently. I'm tall so I think it must be stretched out. Everyone seems to think they are entitled to comment about pregnant tummies! Ignore them!

9. I was told I was massive all the way through my first pregnancy and my baby was 10 1/2 lbs so that was probably fair enough, although it annoyed me massively at the time!

However, during my second pregnancy, I kept being told "oooo, you're HUGE!" and "are you SURE it's not twins/triplets?" and "HOW long to go?? Really? You look ready to pop!" from Day 1. I found it really offensive, and started walking away from people when they said it. After 20 weeks, I found it even more annoying as I'd developed gestational diabetes and I felt it was a snide remark about the size of the baby which then made me freak out about how big he was and how badly the diabetes had affected him...I was ready to smack the next person who said anything! I also had people in the supermarket touch my bump and talk about how "big" I was. I had to restrain DH from lamping them in the frozen veg aisle!
    He was born and was fine - a little big but over a lb less than my first. I measured totally normal for all of my pregnancy.
    Either tell people to shut up, stun them into submission with a withering glance of contempt, or pre-empt them with "hum, yeah, well, I see from the size of your stomach that the diet's not going well; have you tried Weight Watchers?" and see how they like it!!!!!

10. i'm big - tall and wide - and strangers still couldn't tell i was pregnant at 28 weeks and i could still sleep on my stomach at 32 weeks. i measured my dates - 40cm at 40 weeks..... and then i popped out and 11lb baby.....
    the size of your bump doesn't necessarily correspond to the size of the baby - as bradley said, she was 40cm at 36 weeks and had a baby just under 6lbs, i was 40cm 4 weeks later and had a whoppa!
    it's more to do with your frame, and whether you carry more internally or externally. but welcome to the world of pregnancy - everyone has an opinion and everyone feels entitles to judge you! continues after birth i'm afraid!
    congrats and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy....