1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by emupton, Jul 20, 2019.

1. emupton

emupton New commenter

I am being bullied at school by two of my colleagues and am now seeking union advice. Does anyone have any experience of this? Did the bullying stop? How was it dealt with? Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks x

2. science1

science1 New commenter

My advice would be... record every comment they make and save every email they send. If their bullying is work-related, record what you are doing on a regular basis.

I would also go to the doctor and inform him/her as to what you are going through and the impact it is having on you.

Try not to be in the same room with them alone - take someone you trust with you to any meetings, if possible. Although, finding someone trustworthy at work may be an issue... This may be where the union will help?

Most importantly, you must look after yourself. This may mean taking some time off, or sadly, eventually finding another post. Keep talking to friends and family and remember there is much, much more to life than work!

Much love xx

3. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

Is your head approachable? If so then you might consider asking for a meeting with them. Take along your evidence and explain how it is affecting you.
    You should / may have a bullying policy. If so read and follow this first.

4. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

1 Get witnesses. Don't be with a bully ever on your own.

2 Ask for verbal requests to be folliwed up in email just to confirm exactly what is needed

3 Say 'No' more. Or say 'I will get back to you '

4 Talk to your line manager or go higher if possible

5 Talk to as many other people as you can. Bullies don't like groups of people knowing what they are up to

Good luck..

jlishman2158, emupton and Marshall like this.
  5. buckers29

buckers29 New commenter

I am in a similar dilemma line manager openly told people wants to make
    My life as difficult as possible and is doing things like changing my data to make it look like I’m making mistakes. Do I just keep quiet and collate the evidence or go off sick with stress? My head is not open to the idea he believes him at the moment and has told me to ‘get on board’ with him which I have done but is still doing these things. In meetings he will accuse me of things and I have no one I can trust to support me

emupton and Easyasabc like this.
  6. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Union.
    1 Every request in writing.
    2 Be completely professional at all times and be measured in everything you say and do.
    3 Be polite and courteous.
    4 Hold your head high.
    5 Tell as many other people as you can about your experience and see if they can offer advice.

jlishman2158, sabrinakat and emupton like this.
  7. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Collect evidence. Screenshot your data after you have entered it and then again if he changes it. Have concrete justification for giving the grades you did, if possible. Would the people he spoke to about making your life difficult speak up for you?

Keep your focus on doing your job, teaching students. Try to get out for a walk at lunchtime.

8. steely1

steely1 New commenter

Echoing the above - keep a log of all of your encounters / correspondence with the bully / bullies. Even if you don't take it further at this point, it could be invaluable evidence further down the line (and is one means of "getting it off one's chest", so to speak).

9. emupton

emupton New commenter

Thank you for all this excellent advice x I am going to meet my union rep tomorrow for advice x

10. SheikhAbdulFashion

SheikhAbdulFashion New commenter

What type of bullying is it?

11. SheikhAbdulFashion

SheikhAbdulFashion New commenter

How does it manifest itself, I mean? Is it verbal bullying? What type of comments?

12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Excellent news and you are extremely lucky they are able to meet you in the holidays...

Easyasabc and jlishman2158 like this.
  13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hope the meeting with the union rep went well and has helped you to feel stronger. Good advice from other posters - log/screenshot everything. Even if you are not sure how far you want to take this at the moment, it's good to have the evidence stored. Take care of yourself and do your best to enjoy the holiday.

14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

OP, if that's your real name, it might be advisable to get this thread deleted.

Just report your own first post.