1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by choccie, Mar 20, 2017.

1. choccie

choccie New commenter

The question I pose here is How will we ever eradicate bullying from schools when bullying happens among the staff? How can we teach kids that bullying is wrong when they notice teachers being bullied by senior leaders? How can we expect students to challenge bullying when teachers don't support each other and stand up for bullied members of staff? How can we encourage students to encompass equality and a sense of community when teachers are bullied instead of being supported? When instead of supporting each other there is a shift towards protecting yourself?

As teachers we are taught that we should model the behaviours that we expect from our students, but we don't. We are taught to encourage our students and support them when they struggle, yet it is becoming more common for teachers to witness colleagues struggling and offer no support. Senior Leadership exploit weaknesses in staff to bring them down, rather than recognising positives and encouraging growth and development. When rather than recognising the good practice, the commitment and hard work put in and other positive attributes, a teacher is defined by one error or one weakness; how can we then expect our students to recognise and celebrate positive contributions made to society?

We teach our students that if they work hard they will be successful but yet in our profession how hard you work and the effort you put in is not recognised. In challenging times we don't stand united but instead adopt an 'each man for themselves' attitude.

Just a thought ......

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It is something I've pondered over too.

I have some theories as to why it happens but haven't come up with any answers as to how to right these egregious wrongs.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

I wholeheartedly agree.
    I once sat open-mouthed and gawping in an assembly run by my former Headteacher in which they lectured the students about behaviour such as name-calling, ostracising or deliberately excluding people from a popular group, shouting, picking on people...all things that the Head in question did on a daily basis. In fact, one child on the way out of the hall smiled at me, raised an eyebrow and said: "ironic, right?" as the students were all well aware of the bullying.

I don't know if there's an answer. I don't know if it can be stopped or calmed down. What I do know is that until we start investing in people and in teachers, building on their skills instead of just making them cannon fodder, that nothing will improve.

bigbev, 400193, sabrinakat and 3 others like this.
  4. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Students don't usually get to see the intra-staff bullying that goes on. It's insidious. Well educated adult bullys are very clever.

In fact there will be whole swaithes of 'in favour' staff who also don't see the bullying going on and wonder, all wide eyed and incredulous, what on earth some of these 'negative' teachers are on about.

madenglishgirl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. choccie

choccie New commenter

Ah never underestimate the astuteness of students. They pick up on more than you know.

ssaleh21, silversoo and ROSIEGIRL like this.
  6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Indeed I remember once hearing a student sum up a certain situation with quite an insight for a Year 9 student.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Lead commenter

I think Eastenders should follow up their stellar soapy success with the 'Bex being bullied by cybertexts of her own making plus bitchy girls and gormless ex boyfriend' storyline with one about a teacher who was actually rather good but forced out. Instead of Michelle with her penchant for virtually underage boys. Another negative media teacher stereotype. Up yours, BBC.

grumpydogwoman and 400193 like this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Lead commenter

Well, one thing will improve. Tutors' salaries.

choccie likes this.
  9. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

When we are treated as human beings, and stopped being looked upon as instruments to obtain profit from the units - sorry , students that we (try ) to educate .
    And for the clueless who try and dictate what and how we teach , to leave us alone to get on with our jobs.
    Maybe if we all do a collective "hard stare?" Sorry for the flippancy , but I'd cry if I didn't at least try to make us laugh .

10. choccie

choccie New commenter

And you get the odd heart warming moment when a student tells you of how another member of staff had bad mouthed you and the student stuck up for you. Which results in a conflicting sense of pride in the student while wishing you hadn't been told the conversation happened in the first place.

silversoo, Norsemaid and sabrinakat like this.
  11. choccie

choccie New commenter

Ha Norsemaid - they can ruin our careers but they will never take our humour!

12. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Occasional commenter

No , never !

Maybe it is time to remind ourselves , that if , in the eyes of our pupils and students, we ARE good enough , then tough wotsits to others I'm afraid .

(Hastily retreats head from parapet ) .

bevdex, Lara mfl 05 and choccie like this.
  13. choccie

choccie New commenter

Well, they are the audience after all!

Norsemaid and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Amen
    My theories are cowardice, not wishing to become a target themselves and aspirations to be SLT.

15. Ray Higgins

Ray Higgins New commenter

My explanation is that bullying is found in the realm of the adolescents. Whereas when it is done to adults it is a hideous form of abuse. I still live and hope that one day these abusers will pay the price for their ways.

redpepper9991 and lardylegs like this.
  16. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Before phrases such as 'investing in people' were used, there was LESS bullying-and more real 'investment'. I dare say bullying always happened in SOME schools, but students were less aware of it. Mind you, when I was a schoolgirl, the idea of someone 'observing/learning walking/appraising/performance managing' would have been ridiculous. By and large, everyone trusted the teachers to get on with it. I'm not saying all the teachers were brilliant, but at least MOST of them focused on teaching, not 'targets', and we didn't lose good teachers who refused to put up with the 'indignity' of being inspected.
    Rowling got it right in the Order of the Phoenix-I'd have believed she'd been a teacher!

rosievoice likes this.
  17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

The problem is that too many SLT are stuck in the adolescent phase. They think that "book scrutiny next Wednesday" is the same as saying "Hand over your lunch money or else." And don't they just love it?

Lara mfl 05, Norsemaid and bigbev like this.
  18. choccie

choccie New commenter

And rather than say 'well done you are giving detailed feedback and are clearly spending considerable time marking', the response is 'you are not using a ruler to do your pink boxes'.