1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jago123, Dec 4, 2015.

1. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

I am posting this on behalf of a colleague who is currently experiencing victimisation from a pupil at school.
    My colleague who teaches in the Science department ( I am the HOD) and originated from Pakistan was recently victimised by a Year 10 student by shouting 'Isis Isis' and that 'I hope your family get killed in the Syrian Airstrikes'.
    The colleague immediately seeked the assistance of a TA and a teacher to supervise the class whilst she went down to speak to the HT, visibly upset by what has happened.
    The colleague has not attended work for the last 2 days as a result of this and it is unclear whether or not she will return.
    The student in question has currently been excluded from school for a period of 5 days whilst this investigation takes place.
    As a HOD, I am obviously very concerned about this and want to provide my colleague with the best support possible.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It should immediately have been reported as a racist incident to the Headteacher - which I note it has been.

This is direct discrimination under section 13 of the Equality Act 2010 on ground of race.

Your colleague should involve her union. You might like to compare this dreadful experience with the case of Pearce v Governing Body of Mayfield School [2002] ELR 16. In this case, the teacher suffered abuse because of her sexuality but in other respects the facts are similar, albeit this teacher's experience was more than an isolated incident. The employer is liable for discriminatory treament of his staff during the course of their employment.

As for what you can do to support your colleague - the Head seems to have this in hand at the moment and is investigating. You need to let this take its course. There is no reason at this point to presume that the Head will not handle the matter appropriately.

Perhaps a card and some flowers from the department - see how she is - and reassurance of your support?