1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by laura080269, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Oh dear, this doesn't sound good...you are anonymous on here, no one has to know who you are or where you work. What has happened to you to make you so upset, am guessing that you are being bullied at work by someone, are you able to talk about it to us, am very sure everyone will listen and offer advice, and maybe it will help you just to talk/write about it and get it off your chest.
    Be strong [​IMG]

2. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

I wonder if you could phone Occupational Health for a confidential chat? Citizens Advice Bureau can be very useful if your problems relate to your rights at work? Do you belong to a union? Samaritans? You could also speak to your GP. As the previous poster said, you are anonymous on here, and there are plenty of us here who are willing to listen and offer our thoughts. Good luck xx

3. You have highlighted a concern that I dearly hold - there is no-one for teaching assistants to talk to!! Yes, there may be a teacher line but where is the teaching assistant one?? We are not taken seriously enough sometimes !! Good luck in seeking the confidential advice you deserve.

4. So sorry to hear that you are finding things very challenging at work.
    I had a difficult situation with a teacher that I worked with a few years ago. It was a horrible shock as in over a decade working in schools every teacher that I have worked with has treated me with respect and consideration.
    I found my confidence plummeting. I got anxious about making a mistake so became hesitant which irritated this teacher even more. After a third, very public verbal dressing down I was took to one side by a colleague who encouraged me to report this behaviour. I really didn't see that it would achieve anything and as I was scared of making the situation worse I kept quiet for several more months.I became teary and stressed about going to work and was having difficulty sleeping.
    One day my Head called me into her office and asked me directly how I was finding working with this teacher. Obviously someone had spoken to the Head on my behalf (schools are not places to have secrets). I was reassured that nothing I said would be repeated to the person involved. My Head kept her word and dealt discreetly with the situation. I do not know to this day what exactly happened but this teacher decided that it was time to move on to another school. I heard later that she had also upset the admin team and the lunchtime supervisors on several occasions.
    I look back and cannot believe that I let myself be treated so badly, but bullying behaviour has an insidious effect on your confidence and I began to believe that I really was a **** Teaching Assistant.
    I do not know what your situation is and how supportive your SLT are. We always advise children to talk to someone about bullying and that applies to adults too. Talking in an anonymous forum may help a little but it won't solve your situation. Is there nobody at your school that you can confide in? Bullying can lead to depression and anxiety and therefore cannot simply be 'endured', eventually something has to give.
    If the bullying is something that is going to continue for the forseeable future then you will either have to think about moving schools or trying to tackle the problem head on. Keep a record of any incidents of bullying for future reference.
    So sorry you are going through this, it is awful and eats away at you until your confidence disappears. There is life after bullying and I have fantastic relationships with my colleagues now.Take care. Keep posting if it helps.

5. Hi everyone, as an investigative journalist (who has previously worked as a TA) I am very interested in this topic as I am currently gathering some stories relating to the workplace bullying of TAs, who I believe are the school staff members most susceptible to such bullying. The stories I have gathered so far have been positively harrowing (including one woman hounded out of her position after nearly 40 years of employment).

If any of you would like to contribute to the piece I am writing on this subject, in complete anonymity of course, then I would be very happy to hear from you, either by email or telephone. This is an issue which should receive greater publicity, contributing to my piece will help raise awareness of this awful practice, which is so commonplace in our schools.

here is my email address: seas.black@yahoo.com

thankyou

6. It is still going on and as far as I can see will continue for however long. how can you fight back when you have no fight left? maybe i will be able to one day. Have been in touch with the teacher support network online. I am having trouble getting hold of union.
    To the journalist believe me if I could get out of there and have another job, you would get the lot.