1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying Primary Deputy Head

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by AnonL, Mar 9, 2016.

1. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

I have decided to quit my job today due to poor treatment by the deputy head whose class I teach in.
    She shouted over at me when students where the and give me a whole list of personal insults such as I cannot relate to the students on their level at all, that I am unreflective in a reflective school, that Primary is definitely not for me, she has no idea why I applied for the job and that she doesn't feel she can leave the students with me in the class without them playing up. She alsed me if I prefer literacy or numeracy support yesterday and she turned this against me today saying that it is appalling I can't do both. She also said she asked the student if there is a problem with me and and he said no but she is still not convinced.she said she doesn't have time to mentor and support me and feels resentful,about having to. I made an innocent of the tongue and she yelled .... Your making mistakes again

I am a qualified teacher and I took this on to make ends meet as supply dried up. I am married and my wife and I have low overheads and she works as well,

She has turned out to be so horrible. Five weeks in I am handing in my notice. Life is too short for a job that pays terrible to be treated so appallingly. She also had me in tears two weeks ago as well.

Other times she is nice and polite strangely.

How appalling. I go to work and try my best but it seems I am getting seriously bullied. I feel really badly treated and stressed and depressed beyond words.
    Opinions.

2. And100

And100 New commenter

What an awful situation you find yourself in. It always amazes me that part of our role as educators is to support children to be cooperative and respectful, when often we are unable to do this with our colleagues. I hope that you find another job soon which will bring you peace and happiness, This person is not worth anymore of your time or energy.
    Good luck for the future :)

3. Mrskeletor

Mrskeletor New commenter

You took the correct path in getting out. There is no point in hanging around. I had a similar situation with a hideous sociopath witch when I was an NQT. Just get out and don't think about her again. :)

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If someone shouted at me - especially in front of pupils - I might (maybe) keep quiet and "professional" the first time. If they did it a second time I'd reply in kind, and with interest*. Whoever was there. There would be no boundaries.

*Happened twice in my 30+ year old career - in neither case in front of pupils (but in front of colleagues). No-one has the right to talk to me (or anyone else) like that...

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What sort of contract are you on?

Because you may be stuck there until the end of the summer term now, having missed the resignation deadline by well over a week.

Although you could give it a try . . .

Missing the resignation deadline

Asking to leave earlier than your contractual leaving date

But whatever the time that you have to remain, you shouldn't have to put up with this. Start writing down everything that happens - starting with the event outlined above. When, where, who was present, what was said (on both sides). Then when you feel secure with your evidence, ask to speak to the Head and ask him/her to intervene to prevent any repetitions.

Best wishes

6. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

Resigned now.
    Head called me in. Stating that what the deputy said yesterday was in no way her wanting rid of me and am I sure as she (the deputy) had even stated that she had seen an "improvement" in my performance since yesterday. I said yes and she was fine and shook my hand and wished me all the best.
    The deputy whose class I am an assistant in said " I am sorry it has come to this" and shook my hand as I left today . So all done and out. Never again. Thanks for the supprtive posts given throughout this very unpleasant episode.

FrankWolley likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So are you saying today was your last day there?
    That you resigned yesterday and left today, never to go back?

Even with the reference to support implying you are working as a TA, that is still a very strange way of things.

8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was thinking exactly the same thing but I did not want to appear uncharitable. Strange turn of events.

9. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

Strange maybe but I have left.
    It was a temporary post only until June with option to leave anytime.
    Done now
    Happy to be away from the bullying and back on the supply trail.