1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying of teachers by senior staff

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Spyder101, May 16, 2008.

1. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

3 times a day? Record them. Then, after a couple of weeks,send the record to the HT cc to the union rep and to the local union secretary.
    Dear Ms
    I have recorded the following visits to my class ...
    I fully accept your right as HT to monitor teaching and learning within the school. However, on the undernoted occasions (dates) you made the following comments to my class regarding my teaching (verbatim).
    I believe that these comments go beyond what is reasonable in the circumstances and I would call your attention to our employer's policy on fair treatment at work (or whatever your local authority calls its policy but it will have one - enclose a copy downloaded from your LA intranet perhaps)
    Please note the following sections...(the policy will almost certainly refer to the following from my employer's code of practice)

6.4.2 Bullying may be characterised as:

‘offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse
    or misuse of power through means intended to undermine, humiliate or
    denigrate or injure the recipient’.

6.4.3 Examples of bullying behaviour in the workplace include:

• shouting at a colleague;
    • persistent negative attacks on a colleague’s personal or professional performance;
    • criticising a colleague in front of others;
    • spreading malicious rumours/making malicious allegations
      particularly on the gounds of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation,
      religion or belief or age;
    • persistently setting objectives with impossible deadlines or unachievable tasks;
    • removing and replacing areas of responsibility with menial or trivial tasks;
    • undervaluing a colleagues contribution;
    • placing unreasonable demands on and/or over monitoring a colleague’s performance;
    • withholding information with the intent of deliberately affecting a colleague’s performance;
    • excluding colleagues by talking solely to third parties to isolate another;
    • conduct that degenerates, ridicules or humiliates an individual, especially in front of their colleagues.

[​IMG]
    I would welcome feedback regarding such visits. So that the teaching and leaning of my class is not compromised, I would suggest that this takes place at a mutually convenient time outwith class contact time.
    Sincerely etc
    Make sure your friend has full support from her union before going down this road. She must be careful also not to encourage others to take action as this coul;d be interpreted as trying to bully the HT!
    It is important that your friend is seen to act reasonably and to accept the HTs right to manage. It is the way this is being done which is the problem, not the HT herself. As with children, tackle the behaviour and not the person.

2. Dominie, you've given us such concrete, useful advice. Thank you. Will let you know how things go. The LA set up a meeting for later this week where there will be a rep from the LA, the HT, my friend and her union rep and possibly someone senior from the EIS too, given this HT's past history. Apparently, that's the recommended (though not essential) first step, before a grievance can be started.

3. Firstly re Airy's
    a19pb doesn't do advice. He "identifies" bullies by type and advises you not to go to your union. He offers no alternatives other than to use the bully's tactics against them by forming little cliques or to quit the job. Follow the advice above - write everything down, speak to your union (not at school level if this makes you uncomfortable) regularly and make sure you are clear on what you can and cannot do and what the HT can and cannot do."

Airy, for his /her own reasons is making up stories.

Re unions, my advice generally is to 'keep them on side' but to not assume that they will do for you what you expect they should. More generally, bullies in senior positions in schools will misrepresent themselves to union reps in their schools and can form a cosy relationship wirh them. A typical ploy would be to informally mention to them the problems they are having with an individual and how said individual is messing up. The false information will be shared 'in confidence' - twhile he facts are fabricated but the mud will stick. When the 'target' eventually involves the union, the rep will have pre concieved ideas and can do more harm than good.
    Much of the advice you have been given is good, however it is important to realise from the outset thar bullies are convincing liars and even if you keep detailed records of incidents, it is probable that an internal investigation will not even look at them - L.A.s are very selective about what evidence they choose to look at.
    </td></tr></table><h3>'Kangaroo courts' -- Never ! -- Our systems are both fair and reliable.</h3>Gives a realistic view of the reality.
    Further, re general advice - I encourage people to find out all they can about workplace bullying so that they can predict and counter the bullies moves. Bullies do not work alone - they have their sychophants and they manipulate good people (including well meaning union reps) so as to isolate their targets. At the same time, targets of bullying, without understanding the extent to which bullies will lie, continue to make allowances and to try to understand why the bully is behaving the way they are and why they act as if they are continually dissatisfied with the targets performance.
    An informed target, will understand that most workplace bullies have the character traits associated with antisocial and/or narcissistic personality disorders. It is essential that people who work in bullying environments take time to learn to recognise these disorders.
    <h3>Is your boss a psychopath or a narcissist</h3>is a starting point.
    I have written a lot about workplace bullying on this forum and anyone who recognises that their might be a problem in their school should set aside some time to read mine and other's views and counter views, then make up their own minds.
    Going back to Airy's post -- Where there is an established serial bully in place in a school, I do recommend that people who are targetted consider their options re getting out. Unfortunately, for many who are targetted, getting out is not a viable option.
    Workplace bullying is very dangerous - it can cause serious / life threatening damage - to have a chance when fighting a bully it is essential that a target understands what they are dealing with and the games that will be played by the LA should they decide to follow the grievance route.
    <h3>a19pb's hotlist - Oct 09 --mainly to do with workplace bullying in schools.</h3>gives a perspective on the scale of the problem.

<h3>A story about Billy, Sam, Sally, Harry & Tim</h3>might also be worth a look.

Finally - unions can be good - but assume nothing.

4. God you are a **** Airy. I would imagine that most people with a brain that functions in a relatively normal way would find the advice given by a1p9bpretty spot on with regard to bulling. S/he seems to have all the bases covered. Why are there so many pathetic individuals in the teaching profession and in education who just love their little power trips?

5. Thanks for that barefoots.

Re Airy's post, at least they acknowledged :-

'I'm sure there are some useful insights ' --- Airy knows there are more than some but chooses to focus on detail in a vain attempt to discredit and to score points rather than enocurage those that would benefit from understanding the games that are played reading more.

6. Indeed. I would add that compared to the very egalitarian and collegial workplaces I experienced as a teacher in Canada, bullying is endemic here as a educational workplace philosophy, from the SG on down, and most particularly from the local government level down through the SMTs to teachers at the bottom. So deeply rooted is the ethos of bullying as an educational management strategy here that is has become invisible. It is simply accepted as how things are done. The entire implementation of CfE is a case in point.

7. as AN educational etc etc. Grrrr. Editing function, please, TES????

8. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

"Cough"

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/minister-accused-of-bullying-in-curriculum-row-1.1057453

9. QED, Dom! [​IMG]

10. Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

"Stress is driving increasing numbers of
    teachers out of the profession, with some even considering suicide..." (The Guardian, 25 April 2011)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/apr/25/stress-drives-teachers-out-of-schools

'Stress'
    is just a euphemism for bullying these days. Corporate management has refined
    bullying into a murderous art form. You&rsquo;d be surprised (as, indeed was I) at
    how systemic bullying has become legitimized through a grotesquely Darwinian &lsquo;ramp
    of improvements&rsquo;. Like water-boarding, it&rsquo;s not torture now - it&rsquo;s &lsquo;data
    retrieval&rsquo; or &lsquo;performance management&rsquo;. It&rsquo;s plausibly deniable, backed up by
    pots of money and QCs. When you control the data machine, you control the
    information.

Education
    is becoming increasingly entangled with politics and business. Headteachers don&rsquo;t
    teach. They chase pots of money and marketing opportunities. Anything that gets
    in the way is crushed without scruple. When you factor in the profit potential
    of privatization and outsourcing (via masonic golf-clubs), the idea of management
    having a legal duty of care towards staff as well as students has become&hellip;
    quaintly laughable.

I
    wonder if there's scope for M.A. and PhD studies on how organizational mafias
    operate, in schools these days, with links to politics and business? I hope so.

I would
    like to bring to your attention my action research project and education/arts
    blog which is a preamble to a PhD proposal on this very subject &ndash; and the power
    of art to fight back.

Please
    see the following:

Marty
    Gull
    (Marty[r]
    Gull[ible]).

http://martygull.blogspot.com/

Some
    particular posts which may be of interest&hellip;

Blog #130. Marty Gull - Targets

http://martygull.blogspot.com/2011/03/chris-port-blog-130-marty-gull-targets.html

Blog #62. Is education a commodity?

http://martygull.blogspot.com/2011/01/is-education-commodity.html

Blog #92. "Do Protests Still Work?"

http://martygull.blogspot.com/2011/02/chris-port-blog-92-do-protests-still.html

Blog #25: Marty Gull Song #11. You&rsquo;ve Got To
    Kick A Teacher Or Two

http://martygull.blogspot.com/2010/11/marty-gull-song-11-youve-got-to-kick.html

#213. The Biometrics of How Schools Work

http://martygull.blogspot.com/2011/04/chris-port-blog-213-biometrics-of-how.html

#214. Staffing Costs Less With Death By
    Stress

http://martygull.blogspot.com/2011/04/chris-port-blog-214-staffing-costs-less.html

11. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

12. At a staff meeting about two years ago, the headteacher commented "You lot must think my head buttons up the back." regarding samples of daily planning which were submitted to her. This was the first staff meeting at which a new DHT was present. Noone said a thing during the meeting (Eg. "I find that extremely insulting." )although people said afterwards that they didn't like her comment in front of the new DHT.

At a later meeting, the same head teacher struck a member of staff full force with a ring binder as he had been cracking his knuckles. No warning, no mock gestures of hitting him, no mentioning his name, just whack! This was witnessed by the entire teaching staff and again, noone said a thing.

13. I wanted to add something of my own expereince. Bullies are weak people.

I went from one work place to another being bullied ( I never want to go through that again) nor will I let somneone bullly me again. It was mental abuse.

Training providers are only interested in MONEY they certainly don't give a c''p about staff. I've move out of the sector for a while but, I refuse to give up my very hard earned teaching certificate through even more so now as education cost a pretty penny.

Bullies need an audience. They are a bunch of weak individuals who in order to feel in control need to control.

14. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Martygull, Canuckgrrl, Chris Curtis, you are, each of you brilliant. Thanks for the links, the quotes and the reminder that we need change in a third direction different from ones we have been taking and that to kill a monster you can fool it into self destruction.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] Very true also of much of the polarised issues we can experience in life.

16. xmal

xmal Established commenter

I think you'll find that the paper you signed is worthless to the school as you were made to do it under duress. Contact a solicitor.