1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bullying of staff

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by tonymars, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Quijote

Quijote New commenter

Absolutely. But I believe the pendulum will swing back in time. I just hope it's in my time.

Again true. Though I have to be honest that bullying "upwards" is less common.

As to FRK's lengthy posts, I agree with some of the points made, but by no means all.

I think, for example, that it's simplistic and untrue to suggest that because a Chair of Governors appoints the head the Chair cannot be trusted to oversee disciplinary proceedings involving the head. By the same reasoning you could say that a headteacher would never want to correct or reprimand a teacher s/he has appointed.

I also think that whatever the pressure heads are under it is clearly untrue to state that "Cheating, lying, bullying and self deception eventually become the norm" except in a very tiny minority of cases.

And whatever the appearance of a particular case there could be all sorts of legitimate explanations for a head to be moved from one school to another. As Asnac has pointed out it is impossible to make a judgement without knowing all the facts.

2. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Read Mick Waters great book, 'Thinking Allowed on Schooling'. The system needs change, and the chapter on taking education out of the hands of political parties points the way to making a valuable reform.

Unless politicians are prevented from manipulating schools for their own purposes there is unlikely to be any change.

Co-operation not competition is the way to develop and sustain and education system that is right for human beings. Otherwise there will be no real improvement.

'Bullying' is a symptom of a rotten system. Improve the ethos and it will improve.

3. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

As others have said, the perception of 'bullying' can be very subjective. We can't change that.

There is no doubt at all - to my mind - that what is sometimes labelled in that way is not intentional at all.

But there is also no doubt that deliberate, malicious attacks take place in an increasing number of schools. Some of these are directed at teachers by school leaders. Some are directed at HTs / SLT by teachers. I have seen both scenarios.

I have worked under two outstanding HTs and four **** HTs. What has made the difference is very simple: humanity and communication. That is key to everything.

4. amjam

amjam New commenter

I agree entirely as a new HT I was bulled by a member of staff and she had bullied other members of staff too.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I agree with you completely. Unfortunately no political party will hand back authority to Headteachers because there is such political capital in education. It is one of the topics that voters consistently say is important to them. Whichever party is in government will think it has to be seen to be taking a strong line on education, in order to appeal to the electorate.

6. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

Your agreement is appreciated. I would not support handing total authority to Headteachers.

Like most others I am aware that their are some Heads who would abuse the trust. Also it could again lead to disjointed change when a new Head is appointed.

I believe a National Educational Council, elected from all interested parties, e.g. business, parents, students, teachers etc( to be agreed), should direct the national education system. The technology exists to make this possible. Then there could be short, medium and long term planning taking into account differing perspectives. You could have well funded Local Authorities to monitor and support the system !

In this scenario there would be no political capital for any party.

It can happen with sufficient support.

7. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Middlemarch, this is surely a very pessimistic view. What stands still in life? And don't you agree that education is in a state of flux?

Did you, or anyone else,read the We must change the reputation of headship article in the latest TES mag? This suggests that head teachers have a lot to say and are NOT happy with the current regime. And what about the latest NAO report? Many questions ARE being asked at the moment.

Is it not true that head teachers and teachers want basically the same thing -to do the best for the kids they teach? Is it not time for representatives of both of these groups to explore, together, a way forward?