1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying in school

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by SDL, Jan 10, 2020.

1. SDL

SDL New commenter

Hello, this is the first time I have posted or started a thread within this community. I am after a little advice if I can ask.

I have been working in my current school for a little over a year and have just started experiencing some animosity towards myself from one member of the SLT. e.g. standing outside my room with arms crossed looking at their watch, talking in a derogatory and intimidating manner etc. I think it might be worth mentioning that the individual concerned was a member of the SLT in one of my previous schools and I along with many other teachers experienced similar behaviour.

I feel targeted and have just returned from being signed off sick by my GP with depression caused by anxiety and stress at work. This is the only time I have had sick in almost 5 years and never phone in or take days off due to illness.
    I have approached the Deputy Head and have stated that I would like to pursue a grievance against this individual as I feel that this is personal. If I approach my Union, what can they do? Am I likely to be investigated if I pursue a grievance. I want to stand up for what I believe is right and moral (not just for myself but also for others in the school who may be going through similar experiences. O could take the easy option and ignore this behaviour but then feel that this will continue if I do not challenge it. As I am sure you will agree, we do not come to work to be intimidated, to feel inferior, undervalued or unworthy by those in management positions. Seniority does not provide a licence to be rude and disrespectful to staff. Just for the record I have also been into school numerous weekends as well as arriving at 6am in the morning due to staff shortages.

Any advice or help will be appreciated.

2. SDL

SDL New commenter

3. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

Step 1 -Record what's happening

Start to write down everything from now on. Write 'historically' too in as much detail as you can remember from the past workplace and this one if you haven't already. I would include dates, times, and if you can't be accurate, be approximate e.g. Summer Term 2017 or Christmas 2016.

Include the sheer facts of what occurred including any witnesses. Don't at this stage approach your colleagues in either workplace - however sympathetic for support. What could seem like an ally may be just the opposite

Step 2 -Advice and guidance

Approach your union for advice and guidance initially. They won't act further unless you OK it to go any further. Avoid your school rep. go straight to the next level (regional?) Ask for assistance in drawing up an action plan.

Step 3 Watch out for 'little chats'

If you are asked to have a little chat avoid if possible. If you are not able to, request that the call for the 'unexpected meeting' including agenda is put in writing (email is best as the timing is set), say nothing at all at any instantly called meets, but take your own notes and request copies of all related paperwork preceding or succeeding the request for the meeting and any subsequent paperwork e.g. minutes. Confer with your union should their be any escalation in bullying behaviours.

Step 4 Flight plan

The successful people in taking on these behaviours in my experience is slim. Prepare for the eventually that moving workplace may be a strong option, so brush up CV references etc. Just in case.

Hope this is enough to start with

Best Wishes

4. SDL

SDL New commenter

Thank
    Thank you Stonerose, really helpful advice. I have thought about moving schools but then on the other hand think.....why should I? I am the victim along with many others. I will heed your advice and start to record everything.
    Thank you.

5. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

Continue to be professional, the SLT individual, is most certainly not.

stonerose likes this.
  6. tenpast7

tenpast7 Occasional commenter

I feel your pain and detest the sort of people who do this to frontline staff.
    Best advice is probably to work elsewhere but I agree that you should not be treated in this way.
    If you stay, get Union on your side as others have said and you may end up leaving with a settlement further down the line.

stonerose likes this.