1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

bullying by a subordinate

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by roaringgirl, Apr 2, 2012.

1. So what do you do in this case? And you have no actual 'proof'?

2. So what do you do in this case? And you have no actual 'proof'?

3. Why do you have no proof? If bullying has been taking place you should have been taking measures to combat it. At the very least if you were planning on lodging a complaint with the member of staff or your department you should have been making notes and recording the incidents.

4. No proof because I didn't recognise it as such, and it was only when two completely unrelated people came to me to warn me about the behaviour of one of my colleagues that I began to piece things together. This particular individual is very very clever and has managed to turn several people against me. This particular individual has been running a whispering campaign against me. How can I take measures against it when on the face of it all this behaviour seems so reasonable? I have never been a target before so why would I recognise it? I don't behave like this - ever - it's not in my nature. I have raised concerns on a regualr basis with my line manager but the support has not been forthcoming and now I am having my reputation dragged through the mud, and for no good reason.

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Ask the two people who warned you to repeat what they've said, but this time to the head.

6. You didn't call your colleague 'subordinate' to their face by any chance, did you? If you called me a similar name, I'd probably be whispering behind your back as well!
    If you have used such language to a colleague - implying that he/she is inferior to your good self, then perhaps it is you who are the bully?
    If this isn't the case, then I apologise, but I haven't heard such a term used in teaching in nearly 30 years - thankfully - I would find it incredibly insulting.

7. ' I haven't heard such a term used in teaching in nearly 30 years - thankfully - I would find it incredibly insulting...'
    Oh I have, though not in England, although it was in a 'Western'.... supposedly-educational.... context. A friend of mine neatly & hilariously subverted the insult by waltzing in five minutes late, carolling: 'Hi everybody!!! I'm a subordinate!'