1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullying and harassment at work

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Bubblesz3, Nov 4, 2015.

1. Bubblesz3

Bubblesz3 New commenter

hi. I am being bullied at work by my line manager. My headteacher seems to be colluding with her and between them seem desperate to get rid of me. My line manager reported me to the head saying I wasn't doing my job properly so I was put on a support plan. Then straight on to a capability before I could blink. I have done my job successfully for over 20years. But my line manager has suddenly taken a dislike to me. As if I have rubbed her up the wrong way and this is her way of getting rid of me. ( she has done this with other people) I have got Union involved and the governors but it's 7 weeks since I spoke to the governors and I've not heard anything since. It's got so bad that I am off with stress and on medication for depression. I am desperately looking for another job. I feel so overwhelmed by it all and don't know what to do next. Any advice?

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I was wondering what the issue would be this time.

Didn't take long to get there...

Sorry to hear this. Your case is increasingly common and reflects on the quality of management in our schools and not on your performance. I hope you get a happy resolution. There are plenty of people here who can offer you good advice.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes indeed, as @Scintillant says, another poster has come with another unhappy example all too soon.
    I am really sorry for you. @Bubblesz

The only advice can be:

1. Ensure that you are in touch with your GP and following the medical advice for the sake of your health

2. Ensure also that you are in touch with your Union and also following their advice. If you take on someone else to help you (a lawyer, in particular), it is very likely that your Union will withdraw their support.

So follow this advice, and keep strong.

Best wishes

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Sorry to say this but after 20 years you are too expensive. I don't actually believe that but that is the reality many of us are finding ourselves in. Is it 20 years in one school? If so, the new breed of manager sees that as weakness, that you've not challenged yourself by skipping from school to school in 2-3 year jumps.

As for capability, ideally you should have negotiated an exit strategy as soon as the word was mentioned. Unfortunately it goes on your references.

Look after your health, it is paramount. So sorry this has happened to you.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Yes, take your GP's advice and the advice of your union.

You might also find it useful to phone the Teacher Support Network for someone to talk to and they are available 24/7.

Try to take one day at a time and take this time to get well.

6. Bubblesz3

Bubblesz3 New commenter

Thanks to all of you who have replied. I am a Learning Mentor so I'm not that expensive to keep. And I have only been in this school for 7 years. Having worked in 3 other schools. But never before have I come across such as this. I have realised that my health is important to me. So thanks. I will follow my doctors advice and also that of my union rep. Does it go on your references even if it turns out to be because of the bullying?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I doubt that it would be mentioned.

Good luck!

8. Bubblesz3

Bubblesz3 New commenter

Thank you.

9. sabrinamlebuka

sabrinamlebuka New commenter

try the teacher's support network

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

m56phil likes this.
  11. mrsmusic78

mrsmusic78 New commenter

@Bubblesz3
    I have been in a similar situation.
    Please ask your Union to send a representative that can help with harrassment and bullying. Your local rep may not be strong enough.
    I say this because my original rep encouraged me to go along with a 15 week support package which could've been nipped in the bud much earlier if I'd known!
    If you ever want to let off steam, try not to do it with colleagues that could use it against you and keep a copy of every email, letter and request minutes to every meeting.
    Good luck, and above all, your health is more important.
    Xx

12. Bubblesz3

Bubblesz3 New commenter

Thanks. I have a good union rep. But she suggested an "exit plan" I'm not keen on that as I feel that I would be saying I was in the wrong. When I'm not. I have kept a log and printed off every e mail from them both. It's the waiting that's bugging me now. It's 8 weeks since I met with the governors. How did your situation turn out? Did it work out for you?

13. yrubdus

yrubdus New commenter

It's pointless going to governors for help - if you are in a union go straight to the rep and make sure they help you .

This link takes you to finally a bully is caught - only union protection will help you

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

14. yrubdus

yrubdus New commenter

Only Union protection is strong enough to prevent bullying headteacher otherwise they prey on your fears and bully other staff who you think are your firiends to make statements against you.
    see the article
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oops

These last two posta are contrary to the terms of the website forums

You must nor
    • post content which refers to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means;
    Best wishes