1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullies and Bystanders

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rab74, Jun 6, 2011.

1. .In my opinion facilitating children to moderate and manage the behaviour of their peers is the most effective way of reducing incidents of bullying. I I am conducting a research project, looking at the role bystanders play in bullying. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the subject
    I have formulated a very brief (5 question) survey accessable through the following address- http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8HGJ66Z I have surveyed children across years 5 and 6, but I am keen for input from the perspective of other teachers.

2. .In my opinion facilitating children to moderate and manage the behaviour of their peers is the most effective way of reducing incidents of bullying. I I am conducting a research project, looking at the role bystanders play in bullying. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the subject
    I have formulated a very brief (5 question) survey accessable through the following address- http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8HGJ66Z I have surveyed children across years 5 and 6, but I am keen for input from the perspective of other teachers.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

In my opinion you're mistaken in that belief.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I totally agree.

How on earth can one child be responsible for the 'moderating and managing' of the behaviour of another? Adults need to take charge and take control in such incidents. They may well choose to involve children in the resolution, but ultimately children need to be aware that the adults will deal with the incident and will manage the behaviour of bullies.

5. IBeing able to positively influence the behaviours of others is not the same as taking 'responsibility'. In no way would the role of a child replace that of a responsible adult, instead it can compliment it. Encouraging children to walk away or tell a tteacher, as opposed to standing and watching bullying, removes the audience for the bully and this simple act could moderate the bullies behaviour.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Can I ask what your questionaire ismeant to identify?

7. I am looking primarily at teachers perceptions of the reasons why children act as bystanders when witnessing bullying. I am looking to understand the differences between why children say they don't intervene against bullying, and why teachers believe they don't.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not sure how your questions are going to provide that information unless I'm missing something.
    I think you need to be clear what "bullying" actually is to begin with .

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But in our school children wouldn't act as bystanders. We know that they don't and have all kinds of things in place to ensure that we get to hear of minor incidents so they don't escalate into wholesale bullying.

You seem to be starting from the viewpoint that some children in each school are bullies. Most other children stand by and watch. Teachers do nothing to enable children to feel they can do anything about bullying. None of these are in anyway true, so your research will be nonsense. And as someone else points out, have you defined what you call bullying?