1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullied out of a post

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Pilchard1408, May 4, 2019.

1. Pilchard1408

Pilchard1408 New commenter

Ive read many posts of how teachers have been bullied out of their positions. I’m surprised this happens. I’m lucky to have always worked in lovely schools and am joining another school in September.

How can a teacher be bullied out?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Quite easily it seems and in a myriad of ways.

But then, this forum only provides for one side of the story.

nomad, BetterNow, ATfan and 5 others like this.
  3. Pilchard1408

Pilchard1408 New commenter

True we only get one side of the story, surely if things were bad there is so one in the system a HOD, SLT Or unions that can resolve things

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

You've always worked in lovely schools?

You stated when you first started posting here that you hated where you were due to behaviour. Which implies a school is unlovely, as SLT clearly aren't dealing with it.

If someone is being bullied, it's generally from management. The HoD/SLT generally won't come to anyone's rescue.

nomad, BetterNow, ATfan and 5 others like this.
  5. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

It's not that hard - all a member of SLT needs to do is find a reason to catch someone out, blow it out of proportion and schedule a follow-up observation for last period Wednesday or Friday - the two where behaviour is traditionally at its worst. Then observe you weekly to "support you", pick up on every little thing and put you on edge to the point where you break.

6. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Sorry but that's naive.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Doesn't need to be SLT doing the bullying, they can merely be facilitators by believing what they are told by the bullies and not bothering to investigate properly.

This thread is almost like asking how on earth there can be bullying of pupils when surely there are teachers to resolve things.

Think back to the thread where you posted about the observer being unfair in your lesson observation at interview and how it made you feel. Now imagine that person is your appraiser and repeatedly makes the same kind of comments. You end up feeling worthless and so do a less good job. And then the spiral begins and eventually the bullies have ground you down so much you leave.

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

...or Your appraiser writes "students looked bored" on the observation form.

Or encourages them to tell tales about you.

Or insists you stay until stupid o'clock every night for meetings where she tells you how rubbish you are.

Or arranges your timetable so you have a massive marking load every week and the unstable **** then screams at you for not meeting it.

That was my HoD at the previous school. Think it doesn't happen now?!

kega123, hfromh, digoryvenn and 12 others like this.
  9. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

Bullying can take many forms, and can creep up on someone. The colleague who, distorts or lies about you, the colleague who borrows resources from your room with out checking, knowing that this will disrupt your lesson, the colleague who makes unreasonable workload demands, the colleague who refuses to support you, the colleague who sets unfair deadlines. The colleague who sets an unfair timetable or group allocation.The list can go on and on.
    It is not necessarily any one incident, it may not be until you have been subjected to a whole catalog of issues that you realise which way things are going. and of course the bully will always have reasons for what they do and will often lie about why they behave as they do.
    As a previous poster has said you are being naive.

hfromh, digoryvenn, ATfan and 9 others like this.
  10. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

HT inventing accusations against you, enforcing disciplinary action through lies, binning personal resources while staff off with WRS, lying to your face and to others, telling you that your teaching is not up to scratch, making snide comments, pointed sarcastic messages on staff room notice boards, telling you (untruthfully) that your results are the worst in the school, telling other members of staff that they are 'worried' about your mental health, telling you colleagues were complaining about you - this HT managed to bully 7 members of staff out of their jobs by these methods. The moment a member of staff disagreed with them, the daggers were out. The COG knew and was too weak to oppose successfully. HR believed every word the HT said.

11. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

12. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm feeling a bit irritated now, which I don't normally get on this forum. Partially because people have been on here sharing things about their careers which they'd rather forget, which must be upsetting, and because I'm finding all the collated posts by the OP somewhat odd.
    The OP claims they don't know what bullying is because they've always worked in lovely schools. If that's the case, why have they been on here this last week asking about differentiation and stand alone lessons - a lovely school with supportive colleagues would help you with these things. So, I'm not too sure the OP does work in a lovely school, and to be so unaware of toxic culture in so many schools beggars belief. You only have to spend ten minutes reading the forums to know that there are many colleagues out there in very difficult circumstances. Oh, and one more thing- ANY school can be lovely on an interview day. Wise up.

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Of course they can and they do.

It's called a Settlement Agreement.

ATfan, Mermaid7, lardylady and 3 others like this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Lead commenter

Teachers are judged, in the main, on subjective criteria lesson observations, learning walks and the like.

Anything subjective that is used to decide on someone else's capability is quite frankly a bullies wet dream.

hfromh, ATfan, agathamorse and 4 others like this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This from the OP in Jan 2017, sympathising with another poster, here.

Then again in Feb 2017 they posted that they were constantly scrutinised in their academy and was it the same in LA schools, here. Surely it doesn't take much to work out that if those doing the scrutinising don't like someone and want them out, it isn't hard to manipulate evidence?

Mind you their profile page says they started teaching in 2016 and joined TES in 2914, so not sure how they could really be a 'returner teacher' in 2017.

16. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

But...they've only ever taught in lovely schools...So they can't have experienced this, can they? Although how can you experience schools plural in less than 3 years, u less you change job every couple of terms?

OP, if you come back to this thread, what's really going on?

17. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Many ways.
    Why are you asking? Have you been promoted and are looking to get rid of someone?

Well if you move schools enough times you will, very likely, come face to face with a bully and know what it is like. I tend to auto-repel bullies these days.People tell me that I have developed a very thick skin. You should lose your naiviety very quickly, if it is really the case. False naiviety will foster resentment in your colleagues and make you enemies if you are not careful.

ATfan and CWadd like this.
  18. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

@Pilchard1408 I suggest the following resources if you really want to know how a teacher can be bullied out:q

1. a19pb’s bullying posts on here (can be found in the tes archives using the member search bar).

2. Read the book bullying in sight by the late Tim Field (his book also gives a link to his website).

If you’ve only ever worked in lovely schools, lucky you. I hope that you never need to make use of the above resources as I did. Unfortunately, nasty behaviour can happen anywhere to teachers of all types and stages in their career. It can (and often does) happen to the best of them!

Enjoy the bank holiday!

agathamorse and CWadd like this.
  19. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I was bullied out of my last job by toxic staff including a narcissistic HT who actively promoted the bullying; I handed in my notice without a job to go to as I was so severely effected. My mental health took a massive hit and it has taken me nearly 2 years to recover.
    I was temporarily set back over the weekend when I saw one member of bullying staff. She tried to be friendly (aka nosey) towards me. I realised I was nearly over my experience when I didn't even engage with her - no small talk, no 'my life is wonderful now' cheesy chat - totally ignored her 'grey rock' style!
    To the poster, if you've never experienced work place bullying you're very lucky as bullying nearly destroyed my life.

20. Eflmeister

Eflmeister Occasional commenter

Another odd OP post. What’s going on on these forums lately?

agathamorse, ATfan and afterdark like this.