1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bullied, judged and feeling very low...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Brunettegirl, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

Well..that says it all really. Can anybody commiserate? I'd rather PM as it's an ugly situation which doesn't need to be aired in public..Thanks.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I know you must feel awful. You are not alone in this. That's of no help to you really.

Nor will it help much if I tell you it's "nothing personal". I won't PM you because I'm retired now and have no direct experience of this. But this forum essentially exists exclusively for these rotten situations so there'll be a useful person along soon to give you more practical support.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

The thing is that these schools should be named and shamed.

OK I realise that individuals would find it difficult as they often need a reference but there should be some way of exposing these awful places.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Commiserations.
    Look for the good things that have happened in your career. Look for good things in the rest of your life.
    I have just become reacquainted with a former pupil who was in what at the time seemed like a dreadful class. They were hard work, but the school at that time trusted me, gave me the contact time, I won most of them round to sociability and working on science. Later on, doing such things was insufficient, I got stressed and lost the resilience to do that.
    I've regained my self esteem since leaving the treadmill. Having some life outside school helped.

5. grumpydogwoman

6. Brunettegirl

Thank you for the reply.. Much appreciated.

7. Brunettegirl

I know. Most people are in an impossible position though.

petenewton and Compassman like this.
  8. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

I totally agree with you. It is the secrecy surrounding this issue which is perpetuating it.

9. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Commiserations, OP.

Someone who doesn't even know me told me today that I am "unprofessional and c r a p. Shall we start a club? I'm sure there would be potential members queuing up!

Talk to people who value you. Remind yourself of the reasons you went into teaching. Stick by your principles. It would be great if we could succeed 100% every moment of every day. But we can't - thank goodness. Because then we'd be robots, not human.

I know how difficult it is not to take things personally. In fact, it's well nigh impossible! That's why it is so important to have a mental attitude where you can put the s*** out of your mind and enjoy what is really important x

10. grumpydogwoman

They said WHAT???!!!

11. ValentinoRossi

Yeah, they said that. Thiry-five years experience of teaching and in all of that time I have never, ever spoken to anyone like that. In front of other colleagues, too. However, I have the hide of a rhinoceros when it comes to dealing with idiots.

Mrsmumbles and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. andrew07

andrew07 Occasional commenter

You know its funny. I was told that by a History trainee teacher where i was doing a two month History cover.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  13. mseerie

mseerie New commenter

Wouldn't it be great if someone created a naughty website for teachers to anonymously review the quality of their schools as workplaces? There are similar tools for other jobs... wouldn't we all have something to gain from this?

petenewton likes this.
  14. ilovepoppies

ilovepoppies New commenter

15. ilovepoppies

ilovepoppies New commenter

That's outrageous, Val, I hope you gave the bar steward a steely glare of absolute disdain x

16. ValentinoRossi

I smiled at her :)

Mrsmumbles, knitone and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

A friend of mine was told by her head that if she could throw away her books she would, in her view they're inadequate....main problem apparently? Handwriting; I've seen these books & they are fine, the world has gone mad!

petenewton likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Congratulations on being so restrained Val! :D
    Sometimes 'being the better man/woman' says it all!;)

ValentinoRossi likes this.
  19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

We older, more experienced teachers were referred to by our then new Executive Head as 'dinosaurs' to which he would be like the 'meteorite that hastened our demise'. (@lanokia would appreciate a simile like this)

petenewton, Lara mfl 05 and lanokia like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

He did indeed @Jolly_Roger1

Just yesterday I sat around with my new colleagues and we shared horror stories from previous schools... turns out my 'horror story' was in no way the worst... some truly awful places out there to work.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.