1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building on my teaching career

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cys2017, Jun 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Thanks I’m on the mission now literally been getting nightmares about all this :(

How long does it usually take teaching agencies to find long term cover supervisor role? Or how long shall I wait to complain if they haven’t found me one?

Thank for your help I really appreciate it

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Any long-term role, whether it be a teaching or a supervisor role is only likely to become available if the post holder becomes long-term ill, or the job becomes too much and they go off with WRS. Plus I wouldn't imagine that you'd be offered long term roles until you've got a bit more experience under your belt- though I may be completely wrong about that.
    And definitely don't upset the agency by starting to complain or you might not even be offered day-to-day work. Supply work is, by it's very nature, somewhat inconsistent and if you need a regular income you really need to be looking for a permanent post

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    agathamorse and cys2017 like this.
  3. cys2017

That’s true it does need to be regular. I’ll try applying for anything I see that I think is suitable . Going to keep my eye out all the time. Thanks for all your support and advice xx

4. cys2017

I will keep you all updated x

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. cys2017

Can anyone help with a struggle that I am currently having with my applications please!

Baisically, I have emailed a place for clarification purposes on their requirements. It’s for a role to teach childcare to adults in an fe setting. However, I stated that I have a qualification teaching pgce fe and told them that my undergrad degree is in childhood and youth studies

However the reply I got said

Your qualification are related to children and young people.

We are looking to recruit an individual to deliver our Diplomas in adult care. The individual will have to have qualifications and experience in supporting adults.

Has anyone got any tips on what I could do in this situation I have asked to arrange a phone call

6. Lara mfl 05

I'd have another check on the original advert. It does sound to me,as though it's teaching 'care' to young adults, which is not what your qualification seems to indicate.?

cys2017 likes this.
  7. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

I would suggest that you look for roles in an FE college. As people have already said you are very unlikely to secure a role in a secondary school with a PGCE in the lifelong learning sector. Once you have secured a teaching position you can then look to complete QTLS through SET. Although this will then allow you to teach in a secondary school you may find that because of your subject you cannot secure a full time post teaching your subject area. I know you have said that you have taught functional skills but (and I may be wrong about this) but most schools don’t offer these qualifications and functional skills is very different to GCSE’s.

With regards to assessing students work colleges may have different policies so you will need to check that out. Where I work once I started teaching I was also marking students written assignments and assessing their practicals. Some colleges will require you to complete an assessor qualification prior to assessing any students work and this is not something you can complete until you are teaching.

As some have stated two FE colleges is restricting you. I would suggest you widen your search area. You will find that many people working in FE will have a commute especially for some of the subjects that are not as common.

When you applied for your PGCE did you want to teach in secondary schools or have you changed your mind since completing placements in an FE college?

Lara mfl 05 and cys2017 like this.
  8. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 New commenter

I think the problem you are going to have with teaching within a secondary school is your subject area. Even if you get QTLS which enables you to teach in schools that will not allow you to just go in and teach any subject. I am no expert in working in schools as my experience is within FE but i can't imagine there being a huge demand for teachers with your subject knowledge and as someone has already pointed out there may only be one group completing this qualification.

My personal opinion is that you should focus on jobs within FE. I know that there are not as many jobs overall available in FE as in secondary education but for your subject i would have thought there would be more in FE than you will find in secondary. You could also look for roles in HE but most of those would require further study.

I know it has already been suggested but you need to consider if you are willing to relocate for the job you want or look further afield and accept that you will have a longer commute - my college is 38 miles from where i live. You could get in touch with local FE colleges and ask if it is possible to shadow someone within your subject area for a lesson or two and when you go in you could speak to them about possible futures vacancies.

cys2017 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

@cys2017 It would be wise to ask to get the attachment in post 48 deleted. It could well identify you.
    You can 'report' your own post and ask the mods to do this.

cys2017 likes this.
  10. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Is there someone in your university who you could talk to about your career options? Surely they will be best place to advise you on what you can do with your qualification?
    Also, although I am primary, I presume that in secondary / FE you still have some sort of NQT / initiation year?

cys2017 likes this.
  11. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I am curious:
    Why did you do a PGCE for FE? Why didn't you choose to train as a secondary teacher?

Once you obtain your PGCE, you need to complete a year as a teacher to gain qualified teacher status.

cys2017 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. cys2017

I have reported it now thanks

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. cys2017

Because I found the skills tests for maths too difficult

14. cys2017

So does the nqt year give teachers that have a secondary pgce a qts? Because mine is in FE I have to complete an online portfolio of evidence through the society of education and training to gain QTLS... so I’m not sure if gaining that is equivalent to doing an nqt year or if that is something completely different?

15. cys2017

My uni tutors don’t get on with me

16. Lara mfl 05

Whether you get on with them or not, they are your tutors and you are entitled to ask them for advice. It's their job.

digoryvenn and cys2017 like this.
  17. cys2017

All they ever do is put me down so I’ve given up asking them

18. Lara mfl 05

You will need to put any personal feelings aside, after all you will need to ask their permission for any references for job applications.

Asking their advice should be seen as a positive- an awareness that one hasn't got all the answers and is aware one needs to learn. Could you write a letter/ email if you find talking person-to-person difficult?

cys2017 and digoryvenn like this.
  19. cys2017

It’s awkward emailing. But yeah I have asked for a reference one and she said she would provide on I called up the agency today and all my references have provided one except for her

20. cys2017

Say if they don’t provide a reference when I get a job interview will it mean that I won’t get the job?