1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building on my teaching career

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cys2017, Jun 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

hi

So I have recently completed my pgce like 3 weeks ago. When I secure a teaching post I would like to have other roles like be an assessor Etc (is there anything else I could do) also how do I go about having additional roles .

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

This is quite early in your career to be thinking about these sorts of things! The NQT year is about becoming the best possible teacher you can be, before you take on additional roles. NQT's are not meant to have additional roles, although some do, depending on the school.
    If you want additional roles, look for small things you can do e.g. clubs relating to the subject, etc.
    In the meantime, enjoy being an NQT and refining your craft.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

You will need to complete your NQT year which will be stressful in itself. It is not a good idea to take on extra roles at the moment; it is not really permitted anyway.

What do you mean about being an assessor?

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree it's much too early on in your career to be thinking about additional roles. You really need to use the first few years to 'refne your craft' developing your own teaching skills first. Then you'll be much more able to see which roles you could contribute towards, using your unique skills.
    As lillipad suggests you can still contribute towards to the School by running a club and being the best teacher you can be.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    agathamorse, cys2017 and digoryvenn like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't you think you'd better get a job first.

There are only 5 weeks left in this academic year to secure one.

What do you want to assess ?

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

BTW - you haven't actually had a teaching career yet.

7. cys2017

Okay baisically my pgce is in Fe so I have a pgce but it does not come with qtls. That won’t take me longer than 4-6 months to complete its all about being observed twice and submitting evidence in an online portfolio. So what is an nqt year exactly... is getting my qtls classed as that?will the person who interviews me talk to me about that and explain it ? Or will I need to ask?

Thanks

8. cys2017

I see completing a pgce as the first step ;)

9. cys2017

Thanks for making me notice I have five weeks. I have signed up to two teaching agencies I am still writing my supporting statement but will probably apply to 1 or 2 schools directly through their vacancies page. Is it true if you don’t go and visit the school first like a tour around that your application gets binned and doesn’t get looked at? I heard that from a teacher...

Thanks

10. cys2017

That’s true I think once my teaching skills are more developed opportunities will naturally come my way and it will be clearer for me to see how I can use additional roles within my area. I just get a bit too eager sometimes. But I’m in a difficult situation that’s why (like personal life circumstances)

11. cys2017

By assessor I meant like marking btec courses internally like only some people can do that I think like quality assistance sort of thing .

12. cys2017

Thanks for your response it’s made me think. I really need help with my teaching supporting statement like I’m not sure if I’m supposed to give specific examples or just be general about my experience

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

With an FE qualification it will be very difficult to get a job in a mainstream school.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Are you applying only to FE colleges?

cys2017 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. cys2017

Really? :( why is that?

16. cys2017

What if I do a qtls through the society of education and training?

17. cys2017

No , there are only 2 fe colleges in my area. I have applied to secondary schools but as a cover supervisor and am planning on completing a qtls with them. The oft her one I have applied to is a childcare btec where it says that they will support candidates to complete a qtls if they have a fe qualification.

18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You cannot complete your NQT year as a cover supervisor.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  19. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just 2 FE Colleges is a very narrow search area.

It's pretty late in the 'normal recruitment season' for teaching posts, though I appreciate FE is slightly different but I do think you'll have to widen your search to neighbouring LAs or even relocating if you're going to complete NQT. Having a longer commute will be worth it, to complete NQT, if relocation isn't possible because of other responsibilities.

As people have said, usually Sec. Schools wouldn't consider your application, if you've never even had a placement in one, so you are really restricting your chances.

Working as a Cover supervisor would give some experience, and most importantly provide some income, but doubt you could complete QTS on that basis.

Also I do wonder about joining any agencies being able to offer you work in the FE sector? My son works in FE and I know because they work all year round incl. holidays, as opposed to 'term-times, as in the Schools sector, they cover any absences within the departments.

20. cys2017

It’s a qtls not qts. It wilfully only take up to about 6 months. The agencies are looking at school secondary potions for me to teach 14+ not FE