1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building Learning Power

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by JamesElford, Aug 30, 2015.

1. We are introducing 'Building Learning Power' at my school and I want to plan an exciting assembly to start the year, where I can introduce it. Would welcome any bright ideas... Many thanks.

2. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

We started by getting the children to describe what they thought a good learner was like. It's important to get them away from the idea that a good learner knows stuff, can do maths or is just ' clever' .

Just a tip from a couple of years down the line.... Try to focus on a small handful of the 12 skills at a time. It's just too much to start with them all. We ended up with 1 whole school focus, then ( after a bit of work) the children set their own one to work on as a target.

3. I ran an assembly where I attempted to show off my guitar playing skills. I can't actually play which the children saw from me strumming away endlessly. I then used that as the chance to talk about how would I learn to plan. Six years on we are thriving with BLP.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

One...two...