1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building / Contents Insurance

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Jun 16, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

My Mum currently with Direct Line and wants to change - paying @ £213 for renewal. She has a small house and no real valuables. Wants an emergency plan but no other extras . I really should be doing the homework for her but just wondered any colleagues can suggest a decent provider for a pretty basic package ? Thanks in advance

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Online comparison sites?

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Agreed but go for one you have heard of. (Direct Line have to pay Harvey for all those annoying adverts)

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If you want to save money, you really do need to do the research, I'm afraid.

MacGuyver and border_walker like this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes I know - kind of looking for a short cut - am a bit weary after long flights / sea plane and boat journey after a holiday .... to come back to the real world - ha ! Thanks anyway

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

We were with direct line and they hiked the price after one year so we used a well known comparison site, you know the one with two for one meals and cinema, and got a good quite. It didn't take long and we've had a few nice meals too!
    Trouble is you don't actually know how good they are until you have to make a claim which we all hope we never have to.

catmother and FrankWolley like this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

@minnie me Do a quick search using a comparison site and phone Direct Line to tell them that their renewal is far too expensive and you will not renew unless they bring down the price?

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@catmother is correct - Direct Line are not on these sites so you'll need to contact them directly after you've done the search. I also suggest you search more than one comparison sites as they tend to come up with different things.
    A couple of years ago, i went through all this stuff with my brother and saved him over £400 a month!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Been with Aviva for a few years now. Had to make a claim last year. Paid up in 3 days, no quibble. I am sure I could save a few pounds with someone else but they have always given me excellent service including a ton of expensive legal support a few years back.

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's true that we have no idea how good or bad an insurance is until you claim.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't just look at the initial cost. Look at service ratings too. Consumer confidence.

border_walker likes this.
  12. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Also bear in mind that the insurers chase cheapest premium rating on comparison sites and to get them they frequently strip down the cover. I'm always surprised how many people I know assume the cover from insurers on comparison sites is "basically the same" other than excesses and price. It isn't!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That is true,however,if you click on the extras you want/or have with your own cover,it's still might be be cheaper than your renewal from the same company.

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

For a straightforward renewal, just ring DL and tell them they're having a giraffe and you're cancelling. I always do this and they always drop the price. It helps if you say "I can get the same cover for £80 less with so-and-so" but you would have had to do the research.
    To change any aspects, I'm afraid it's comparethemeerkats or moneysupermarket. Nobody here has the details required to make a recommendation. Sorry!

catmother likes this.
  15. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

If you use the comparison sites then be careful to tick all the 'don't share data....don't send people around' boxes (unless you want that of course).

They are much better than before but there is still a suspicion comparison sites are the number 1 culprits for selling data on. If you get a call in an Indian accent asking you about 'the accident you were recently involved in' a few days after your search, you will know what I mean:p

To be fair, a few years ago using them would have these calls arriving in hours - I am down to about once a month now.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Register with a site such as top cash back. There are varying offers from insurers etc for cashback. I just took out Buildings and contents with Policy Expert yesterday, getting quote via topcashback, They are offering 63pounds back for one more day.
    Other providers offer lower and higher cashback.

I usually get 4 quotes and work out the final cost to me after getting g the cash back.
    Fixed Auntie up with Admiral last year. I had a good deal with Saga and Churchill and Aviva in the past. Depends on the reward payment on site.
    You can save the quotes but ALWAYs log back in to the reward site before buying or the purchase will not be registered and no cashback paid.
    You nominate an account for the cash back and you monitor when the payment turns from pending to payable (usually after the cancellation period - the site gives a date).
    It's a bit of work setting it up but all sorts of purchases are then civered. Via that site I buy from M &S, Cotton Traders, Apricot, travel and hotels etc. I've had over 500 in case back over about 6 years and mr.jybile e has had double that.

17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Thanks for the responses. Shall just have to bite the bullet and do some research. I do know that she has legal protection which she does not need.
    As an aside my parents were ALWAYS claiming for stuff ( and had a good go @ accident compensation - slipping / falling / tripping ) it was embarrassing and they could not see it - a bit of money for nothing syndrome sadly .......my Mum even mentioned claiming ( for a dropped iron on the carpet ) in our latest conversation about her policy. I don 't think we have ever claimed on our policies except for a plumbing issue ( escape of water ) which was essential, extremely stressful, went on and on and was very badly handled by Barclays a very long time ago. Perhaps we have been lucky but the claim history just follows you so unless absolutely necessary ?? ...

18. catmother

catmother Star commenter

That might explain the cost?

19. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

hER CLAIM HISTORY, ESPECIALLY IF IN THE LAST 3-5 YEARS, may well mean that many insurers will not offer to quote.
    You will need to know what she has claimed for and when, as well as the value of the claims.
    If she is going to be taking compensation claims on things like trips and falls anywhere etc, sshe would be best advised to have the Legal Protection that costs under £30 per year!
    A dropped iron on a carpet is a valid claim if it was accidental and she had accidental cover on the policy. However, the excess on accidental damage claims is now around £250 so it will make claims pointless for many policy holders. A replacement carpet for a room would only cost more than £250 if it was a large room and/or the carpet was 100% wool!
    For that reason, I no longer take out the extra Accidental Cover option as a variety of accidental damage is covered on the standard policy (all different, so read compare the details of policies too).

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No this was a very long time ago. I think they were opportunists.