1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building connections/ links with other teacher

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by cys2017, Jun 18, 2018.

?

Do you have external links at where you work that you created yourself?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2018.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I do but through opportunities offered by the school

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. It’s not important

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. It’s important I wish I had more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

hi everyone

I’ve recently completed my pgce and would like to know how I could build connections with other teachers that don’t work in my school when I start working. I didn’t really get a chance to do this during my pgce year. However I do have my pgce teaching mentors mobile number but have only since asked him for a reference and planning on messaging him on graduation day saying thinking of you all today or something like that...

Anyway .... how can I build stronger links with other teachers that will support my teaching?i know this website is good for that but I was thinking of a more in person sort of thing

Thanks

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Do you have an NQT job lined up? Several people at my first school were involved in 'Teach meets' - this is where you meet up with teachers from other schools to share ideas and resources - see if your colleagues do something like this, then you can join too. Take advantage of any CPD your LA offers - my school paid for me to attend some, it was a good way to meet other teachers.

Stiltskin and cys2017 like this.
  3. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Teach meets. Absolutely. @blueskydreaming is spot on. I know you are currently appplying for jobs. Did you not have a cohort? All of our cohorts are in WhatsApp groups and Facebook groups.

cys2017 likes this.
  4. cys2017

Wish I could start a WhatsApp group for TES - females only though . If anyone’s interested private message meee :)

5. blueskydreaming

Why?

border_walker likes this.
  6. cys2017

Religious reasons

7. blueskydreaming

Your 'religion' prevents you from communicating with males on WhatsApp? Will you also refuse to work in a department or school containing male teachers? Or teach male students? How will you conduct parents' evenings?

Why communicate with males on TES, but not WhatsApp?

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

8. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

It may be that the OP is a strict Muslim? I wouldn't term that as sad, out of respect for people with different beliefs, however there may be a conflict given the British Values taught in schools and the fact that we do live in a democracy and have values surrounding equality and so on. For instance, issues surrounding male and female pupils being taught separately in a Muslim school.

cys2017 likes this.
  9. cys2017

Hi thanks for showing more of an understanding. I have taught in mixed sex settings however it is a professional environment. The reason why I said no males for the WhatsApp thing was because that is more personal level. However I would have my work colleagues numbers if they were male but talking on a professional level. Tes is quiet random people for me that I don’t really know

10. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

You're welcome cys2017.

cys2017 likes this.
  11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

I'd like to advise my fellow Community members to be wary of providing any personal data, including social media contacts, to strangers here on TES. You can have no idea who a person is behind their avatar nor to what use they might actually put your data, commercial or otherwise.

TES itself warns against this phishing behaviour in its House Rules:

'Do not collect or distribute personal data concerning other members of the TES Community or personally identifiable information about another person that has been published without their express consent.'

An explicit preference for women's contact data raises the red flag high.

12. cys2017

Sorry I apologise

13. blueskydreaming

I don't believe that the Qur'an specifies that men and women are not allowed to communicate with each other, in public or otherwise, so I do not believe that there is a religious reason for not wishing to have male participants in a WhatsApp group. Perhaps the OP needs to determine whether her beliefs are part of her religion, or part of a particular culture, because the two things are not the same.

To be clear: I do not think it is sad to follow a religion devoutly, but I do think it's sad to limit yourself to communication with only a particular gender, race or religion when you live in a country as diverse as the UK.

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Professional associations - e.g. ASE, Maths Association.......

ATfan and cys2017 like this.
  15. cys2017

Thanks this is a good one

16. cys2017

Do you know how teachers can join them or is this usually through their workplace?

Also quick question, does anyone know how long after submitting a job application you are usually notified for an interview? Also do they always tell you if you are unsuccessful or do you have to directly email and ask after a while when you realise you have not heard anything back?

Many thanks
    Cys2017

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Vince_Ulam and cys2017 like this.
  18. cys2017

Does anyone here stay in touch with colleagues when you leave a workplace?

19. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Join the subject association yourself. Find the relevant one online, sign up.
    Delay between application and interview invitation is as varied as schools. Some will tell applicants in the application pack when the interviews will be, some won't, some will forget to. In general these days schools don't bother to tell unsuccessful candidates that they've missed out: I think that's poor manners, but there it is.

cys2017 likes this.
  20. cys2017

Oh okay thanks. Say if you get rejected from somewhere (I haven’t yet just wondering) would it be less chance of you getting a place if you applied again in a different year?