1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building an extension - rough idea of prices

Discussion in 'Personal' started by biodust, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Hi,

My husband and I currently have our house on the market and we have someone who has sold coming for a second look. I decided to risk looking on rightmove and have seen a lovely house in a brilliant area. Problem is it's not big enough. Our idea is to build a room on top of the attatched garage - any ideas roughly how much this would cost? We think it's unlikley the foundations of the garage will be deep enough so I guess we'd have to rebuild garage too.

Cheers

2. Hi,

My husband and I currently have our house on the market and we have someone who has sold coming for a second look. I decided to risk looking on rightmove and have seen a lovely house in a brilliant area. Problem is it's not big enough. Our idea is to build a room on top of the attatched garage - any ideas roughly how much this would cost? We think it's unlikley the foundations of the garage will be deep enough so I guess we'd have to rebuild garage too.

Cheers

3. We had a single storey extension (bedroom, bathroom, hall) built in 2001 which cost £33,000....so calculate from there.

4. Try watching some tv programmes. Homes under the Hammer might give you some ideas of size and price.

5. We were quoted £40,000 to extend our bedroom and the dining room underneath so we didn't bother.

6. BIL was given a ball park figure of about £2K per sq metre for a 2 storey extension, if that helps.
    Single storey costs about 20% more !

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

Single storey extension of bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/ living room cost me £40 000 a couple of years ago

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

the price wil depend upon the level of fitting you want....such as plugs, extending CH, decor and cost of Building regs.
    Its hard to quantisize but figure o £200 a sq m sound s reasonable if yo have to knock down buildings and buid new foundations.
    Do check on your property you are allowed to build up and on ..some areas dont allow it. as you are not allowed to build u beyound a certain sq area....but you could ask the sellers if the BR where met..if not that chaces are you wont be allowed to build on the garage.

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

should say £2000 sq mt not 200