1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building a Paris visit into teaching

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lisa.m_85, Dec 21, 2011.

1. I'm currently teaching French at a Primary School to several classes. I have booked a day visit (not with the children!) to Paris as part of a holiday with my family and would really like to build this into some of the French lessons. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what I could do to get the classes involved with it? Obviously a day isn't very long, but it's enough time for me to take some snaps of main attractions, talk to some locals and buy some souveneers. I teach year 2,3,4, 5 and 6!!! Any ideas would be greatfully recieved!!

2. I'm currently teaching French at a Primary School to several classes. I have booked a day visit (not with the children!) to Paris as part of a holiday with my family and would really like to build this into some of the French lessons. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas on what I could do to get the classes involved with it? Obviously a day isn't very long, but it's enough time for me to take some snaps of main attractions, talk to some locals and buy some souveneers. I teach year 2,3,4, 5 and 6!!! Any ideas would be greatfully recieved!!

3. pick up loads of tourist leaflets from art museums, eiffel tower, and anything that might interest the children, ie Disneyland etc. They could see how much information they can actually understand and find (ie prices, opening times etc) and will be surprised and chuffed that it's a lot more than you think! You could link it to dictionary work too if the school has them, they could note down 3 words from their leaflet which they'd like to know and find the translation. Or you could give them postcards of Paris landmarks and they could research them using the internet. You could bring back French cheese or other things for food tasting, and link it to likes and dislikes. You could get them to choose which of the landmarks they'd like to visit and say it in French, and ask their peers about which one they would like to visit. This could be turned into a poster by groups. Just a few ideas. Have fun in Paris!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Buy lots of food and run a shop/cafe type thing back in school. Run it with your favourite class last, so they get to actually eat the stuff!

5. Some great ideas there thanks so much will definately collect leaflets and food!!!!!

6. ojala

ojala New commenter

"Souvenirs" is a French word, from the verb "souvenir" (to remember) or the noun "un souvenir" (a memory). I hope this information is grATEfully recEIved.

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

((((ojala))))
    I've been biting my tongue for days over this one!

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

OMG!!!!!!

Welcome to TES, lisa ....

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Well, spelling isn't your strong point. That's not the end of the world, but I can understand why people are surprised that someone who teaches French can't spell a common French word without the help of a spell check! Maybe you've had French lessons dumped on you - quite likely, come to think of it. Good luck anyway.
    Pick up loads of tourist leaflets and a metro map. Have a lovely time and don't ruin your day worrying about how you'll use your day as a teaching tool.

10. I've never written on TES forums before and I wont be doing it again. There are some nasty people around, and I'd rather you didn't speculate on my teaching abilities when you don't know me thanks. None of this has anything to do with what I asked in the first place, if you don't want to answer my original question then don't bother commenting!