1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building a new music suite!

Discussion in 'Music' started by katherine75, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Has anyone got any info (or know where to find any) about building a new music building? How many rooms should there be in ratio to the size of the school? What are the suggested dimensions to teaching rooms, rehearsal rooms and practice rooms?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. Has anyone got any info (or know where to find any) about building a new music building? How many rooms should there be in ratio to the size of the school? What are the suggested dimensions to teaching rooms, rehearsal rooms and practice rooms?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

3. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Bump!
    Is there a recommended ratio of student:number of practice rooms?

4. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

1. How many students at your school?
    2. How many teaching classrooms?
    3. How many practice rooms?
    4. How much instrument store space?
    5. Any other spaces, eg. rock rooms, recordking studio, keyboard labs, computer labs, teacher office, kitchen?

5. This is a bit of an open ended question. Surely all this depends on the space you have to build on and the budget. Unless it doesnt in which case have a recital room of 20 by 40 meters with tiered seeting, a suite of music teaching rooms with connecting doors and central recording booths with wondows and enough practice rooms to allow a class one between two!
    I don't think building a music suite is that scientific. I have just moved into the new suite at my school - after Music having spent 25 years in a nissan hut. We got one classroom, two practice rooms, a store room (which I use as a practice room) and a recording booth. But it is a small school with only two forms per year, one GCSE class in year 10 adn 11 each and possible A level.
    The demand on practice rooms during break and lunch are enormous - the more you have of these the better - and keep them relatively small. Ours our 8ft by 10 ft ish. Our actual teaching space is huge - I can fit a whole class at the tables and also accomodate, round the outside, almost enough keyboards for 1 between 2 plus computers. Class room doubles as rehearsal space.
    What you don't want is so much space that you can not monitor it all. Mine is compact and easy to get around quickly.
    What I really miss is a seperate store cubboad for student insturments which is not accessed through as classroom. And I could have done with more storage for music and teaching materials too.
    If you are in Midlands you are welcome to come and look round. Message me.