1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building a KS3 English syllabus

Discussion in 'English' started by clarey102, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Hi,
    Please help!
    I've been asked to build a model of an effective KS3 English diet.
    Could anyone offer any ideas of what should definitely be included in each year?
    Thanks heaps!
    Clarey.

2. Hi,
    Please help!
    I've been asked to build a model of an effective KS3 English diet.
    Could anyone offer any ideas of what should definitely be included in each year?
    Thanks heaps!
    Clarey.

3. A play (not necessarily Shakespeare), a novel, some classical 'stuff', some poetry, some writing skills. The school I am in now has themes - so Myth/legend, Science Fiction, Travel, Dickens, poetry ...
    My last school had things like Narrative poetry, modern fiction, Chaucer + history of the language etc etc It also had a huge selection of modern plays, so every year group did at least one modern play (which was brilliant) AND a modern novel.

I'm not sure which approach I prefer - but I do know that tackling 'Writing skills' as a separate subject is deathly boring...

good luck.

4. Thanks.
    Any recommendations of great texts in certain years? I have largely been doing KS4 for the last few years and our KS3 hasn't been great so I really want to get improvements happening but am a bit lost as to where to start, in terms of effective KS3 novels/plays.

5. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Look here:

http://www.teachit.co.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=80

and then have a look here:

6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

Grr...Chrome!

http://www.thegrid.org.uk/learning/english/ks3/

7. We started by looking at the skills required for the new GCSE syllabus, then looked at how we could build these in to KS3 - what skills could be taught where and what needs to be assessed and where. Start at the top and work back - gives KS3 much more focus.

8. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

I would definitely agree with cew21 - start with the skills first. think about the afs...we do topics rather than novel, poetry, play etc. We also don't do a novel with every year group.

9. I agree. The new language study at GCSE is great and it is a really good idea to build in some work at KS3. We look at language change in Y7; they love having a go at speaking Old English and you can look at Beowulf in the original side by side with a modern version on line. Move on to a quick peek at Chaucer; Shakespeare seems loads easier in comparison.
    We're looking at the difference between slang and Standard English in Y8. Again, it's very entertaining and you can consider boundaries, what sort of language is appropriate when. I gave mine a script in Standard English of two friends meeting, greeting each other and then one wanting to borrow some money to buy his/her boy/girlfriend a birthday present. For homework they had to turn it into street slang and then we considered the different effect! It was hilarious.
    Y9 are going to look at accents. Again, the internet has some great resources to support them. We had a phonetic alphabet on the IWB and we had a go at saying and writing "bus" and "love". This is a Yorkshire school but with quite a variety of accents.
    Try to establish some principles at KS3: language change is inevitable and not always bad; we all use a variety of English; there's no such thing as a bad or good accent.