1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Building a castle?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by char2505, Jan 21, 2012.

1. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Hello, does anyone have any good ideas for materials to use for ks1 chn to build their own model of a castle? So far all I can think of is playdough/salt dough or cardboard boxes. Has anyone got any better ideas, please?!X

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

lollipop sticks in wet sand, display borders (the corrugated wavy ones) make good walls stuck in wet sand, straws and masking tape, 3D blocks, rolled newspaper, stones and blutac/masking tape...

3. You can buy huge bags of what look like cheesy wotsits without the cheese which when wet will stick together. Our children have used them for making castles
    and igloos.

4. Cereal boxes, lollipops sticks, kitchen roll holders (not sure what they're called - when the kitchen roll has run out) shoe boxes, small boxes (ie cereal bars box) and paint. I did this with a year 2 class last term and with the above materials most children were able to make the main part of the castle, portcullis, drawbridge and tower.
    Hope that helps :)

5. char2505

char2505 New commenter

Great ideas, thanks everyone!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Not sure about castles but my little boy in year 2 has made a great trebuchet using wood, elastic bands and a spoon. Very effective (but not as effective as the one we made from a proper kit!)
    He was definitely inspired by the castles project at school.

7. char2505

char2505 New commenter

That sounds like fun, Robyn!
    The post about the polystyrene wotsit things has made me think( and on a Sunday, as well). I wonder if I bought a sheet of thin polystyrene and cut it into square, the chn could use it as bricks to build their castle. If anyone has done similar, can think of a flaw in my plan please let me know!
    X.

8. My gifted students in grades 1-4 (ages 6-9) enjoy using pre-school large wooden blocks of all sizes to make the castle walls, gateways, moats, etc. Then they make carboard people, animals, and other props to fill the castle and grounds. It's always a group project, not individual castles. My classroom is very large and will accomodate this large scale project.
    The trebuchet with the rubber band and plastic spoon works well, also. My students are told to make their trebuchets at home with parents' help. They are not allowed to use kits. Then we hold a competition to see which one throws the farthest. Always a big hit with parents and students.
    Huzzah! Have fun!
    Right now, we're about to begin building a pyramid, using the same blocks, but filling it with artifacts/treasures, and a mummy as they are building it.

9. We jave had some incredible creations in year 1 with junk modelling. usually get them to work in groups. Then paint afterwards with sponge prints etc for a brick effect.
    One yeat we made a huge class castle model, included walls, dungeon, keep, portcullis etc. It was made from large boxes, Got some from the local supermarket. The whole thing was then [ainted in grey and sponge print bricks. The children the got really good value from it in the role play area, which reminds me I must try to find the photograph.