1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

builders

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Jan 27, 2011.

1. major rant warning!!
    our next door neighbours (semi-detached) moved at the end of november. they had done up their house beautifully - except it realy needed re-wiring - which was refelected in the price.
    our area is full of run-down decent-sized houses being sold at suitably-adjusted prices by those too old to upkeep them (as ours was)
    and yet, the family who have bought next door have gutted the place (i weep at the torn-down built-in bookcases). the wall they have knocked through makes perfect architectural sense, putting in under-floor heating does not - houses in our road have a weird construction, with concrete floors and internal walls built to external wall specifications
    this is why, i imagine, 2 months later, and 2 weeks after the house was supposed to be finished and ready to move into, the builders are still crashing about and using - i presume - hydraulic drills 8 till 6 - now weekends as well as weekdays - our whole house vibrates - the neighbours the other side, whose house isn't joined, are finding it wearing - i am beginning to feel the nerve ends near the surface
    bleugh!!!

2. major rant warning!!
    our next door neighbours (semi-detached) moved at the end of november. they had done up their house beautifully - except it realy needed re-wiring - which was refelected in the price.
    our area is full of run-down decent-sized houses being sold at suitably-adjusted prices by those too old to upkeep them (as ours was)
    and yet, the family who have bought next door have gutted the place (i weep at the torn-down built-in bookcases). the wall they have knocked through makes perfect architectural sense, putting in under-floor heating does not - houses in our road have a weird construction, with concrete floors and internal walls built to external wall specifications
    this is why, i imagine, 2 months later, and 2 weeks after the house was supposed to be finished and ready to move into, the builders are still crashing about and using - i presume - hydraulic drills 8 till 6 - now weekends as well as weekdays - our whole house vibrates - the neighbours the other side, whose house isn't joined, are finding it wearing - i am beginning to feel the nerve ends near the surface
    bleugh!!!

3. I am sorry, I have read your post and have sympathy, but I can hardly see my keyboard or monitor because, possibly because I have drunk a bottle of beer and just been talking about rubber corsets, my mind is playing word association games and when I read your thread title, I immediately thought...

bums.

4. you know - there's not a one of them even vaguely attractive - no fair!!!

5. No, not fair at all.
    Do you know, today I was translating a very boring contract and there was a clause about drivers not being allowed to go "topless".
    I suddenly had visions of that cola light ad, then thought of the drivers who drive for us and my world came tumbling down...

6. not so much 'get em off!' as 'put em back on!'

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Or keep them on and put this bag on your head ;)

8. "no fair"

Hang your head, flora. Bloody Yankisms will lose you my sympathy straight away. I was going to offer to come up and do a bit of overtime for your delight and delectation this weekend, but you've gone and spoiled it now with that terrible use of "language"

cyolba, torso rippling in the wind :)

9. i acquired the habit of saying 'no fair' from a friend who lives in the deepest dorset countryside - i hang my head in double shame as i didn't even know it was an americanism

10. ok - so today they have had the road up and created a contraflow on a main road that is the route for 4 frequent busses
    this is because they need higher water pressure for something i didn't understand what it was. oh - and apparantly it will benefit us too, as we will also have higher water pressure - er - what am i supposed to do with it?
    couldn't they have checked the water pressure was high enough for their daft scheme before they bought? well - given they never checked the floors were suitable for underfloor heating....
    i hope they are paying for this and it isn't coming out of veolia's mean little capital budget which is unlikely to plug a decent percentage of the water leaks round here anyway
    did i mention 4 doors up the road is a large and scrubby council estate? why are they planning to live here if they want to live mansion style?
    and where are they getting their money from - they are a young romanian couple - all the other romanians i know (which are many) are working all the hours god gives to make a small living,. either they are ceauscu's second cousins or new mafia. oh goodie!

11. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

They wll have to pay towards the water supply upgrade, the utility should provide water at sufficient pressure and flow to run a power shower or whatever to their and your boundary. I can't see a problem with them having decent pipework. They are probably replacing lead with plastic which with a shared supply directly benefits you. If you are smart you will have your supply upgraded while they have the pipes accessible. Cut the quantity of lead that you ingest.

12. i use a fitted-to-the-pipework filter
    we have a power shower and it works fine - but the water pressure is obviously lower at 7am than it is at 5. whatever they want is something to do with the hot water boiler, i think
    (my romanian is pretty basic)