1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

builders working hours at weekend?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Yet another Saturday morning when we were woken up by builders loud hammering next door. This is the 4th or maybe the 5th weekend in a row when they've been working. They started 2 mornings this week at 7.30 and twice at 7.40. There has to be a law against all of this noise! My husband went next door at 7.40 this morning and politely asked them to stop knocking out the upstairs bay windows in the room next to our bedroom as it was too early. They stopped for about 6 minutes and then it all started again, so we had to get up! Anyone have any ideas? Do I contact the council?

2. Yet another Saturday morning when we were woken up by builders loud hammering next door. This is the 4th or maybe the 5th weekend in a row when they've been working. They started 2 mornings this week at 7.30 and twice at 7.40. There has to be a law against all of this noise! My husband went next door at 7.40 this morning and politely asked them to stop knocking out the upstairs bay windows in the room next to our bedroom as it was too early. They stopped for about 6 minutes and then it all started again, so we had to get up! Anyone have any ideas? Do I contact the council?

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Nope
    The Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003 only allows local authorities in England and Wales to tackle night time
    noise emitted from dwellings and gardens between the hours of 11.00 pm
    and 7.00 am.
    Your local council MAY have a separate by-law in place to curtail noise outside these times but probably won't.

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

How annoying but I don't think there is much you can do.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Common courtesy would dictate that this sort of disruptive and noisy work wouldn't commence until 9am at weekends. I certainly wouldn't even vacuum before or after certain times out of courtesy for my downstairs neighbour. Hammering and banging at 7.30am is unneighbourly, even if it isn't against the law.
    I'd try one more time to ask your neighbours to start work after an agreed time. I'd say that 8am weekdays is reasonable as that's a normal starting time for many people and most people are up and about going to work anyway. I think that 9am is reasonable for weekends.
    If a polite conversation doesn't solve it, then I'm afraid I'd sink to the level of leaving my radio on loudly next to the adjoining wall before I go out to work.

6. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Oh dear

Out of interest when do you start work, Eva?

7. My husband wouldn't let me put the radio on this morning in case I annoyed them!
    The house next door was sold in September and we don't know who bought it. It isn't them doing the work. It's a brought in builder.
    We had breakfast in Morrisons at 8.20 am this morning, which was a first for me, but I couldn't bear the noise anymore.
    I hadn't thought about hoovering that early - but it seems a bit pointless if it's not the actual house owners doing the work.
    I really hope the council can do something, otherwise I'll have to send husband in to see the builder and find out who has bought the house and contact them.
    Not a great way to meet your neighbours!!

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Why is that relevant?

9. No, I would contact the council.
    We built a house last year and went out of the way to be courteous to the neighbours but we had 3 days when the timber frame went up that they worked longer than normal. We informed all the neighbours and stressed that it would only be for these 3 days but still someone complained. We were then sent all the by-laws which actually prevented ANY working on machinery during the weekends as well as strict time limits in the week. It made it quite difficult at times but we stuck to it. Then the neighbours who complained did a moonlit flit from their rented property apparently owing thousands. Seems they didn't mind breaking rules.

10. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

In my brief stint in the building trade, any Saturday work we did generally didn't start until 8:30 or 9am. It gave us a bit of a lie in as it was the weekend, and didn't give anyone a reason to complain. Are they even working a full day on the weekend?
    (Not withstanding the unexpected night shift worker you didn't know lived next door while you rip out a kitchen...)

11. They started early and worked late tonight. They worked last Sunday and the Sunday before and I have had enough, so I am going to complain to the council on Monday and see what they say!

12. 7:40 does seem excessive! My stepdad is a builder and, when he works weekends, he works from 10 am until around 4/5 pm. He is self employed though and is his own boss. It could be that these builders are just following orders from their boss. Speak to the council about it and see what they say.

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Definitely contact your local council, or get your councillor to to act on your behalf.

14. As I said, maybe they have a time limit which means weekend work is needed. I don't see why a weekend is so different. Not everybody works a five day, Monday to Friday job and if you'd be happy with them starting at 8am I really can't see how 7.30 is suddenly so unacceptable. I think someone already quoted the regulations regarding noise so I'm not sure what exactly you think your council are going to do. I'm sorry if that sounds unsympathetic but sometimes building work has to be done and it's not always going to be convenient for those around.

15. Captain Obvious

Let's be fair, many people work Monday-Friday and have a lie in on the weekend. Being woken up by hammering and masonry drills is not a pleasant experience on the one day you're trying to unwind.
    And the builders could no doubt find some relatively quiet tasks to do from 7:30 - 8:30 or pick up some of the materials they need and arrive a touch later. While they may have to meet a deadline it doesn't mean they should be totally unsympathetic to the neighbours.

16. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Construction in a residential area is limited at weekends and evenings- I'm told by someone in the trade that it can't start before 8am and must finish by 6pm. Surely it should be the same whether it's one house or a whole estate being built?

17. And many don't.
    Maybe they've been doing that until 7.30 in order to be considerate?

18. sorry airy - but one of the bases of a civil society is that you cannot ride roughshod over other folk for your own needs - if the new owners really had to get out of a previous residence in a hurry, they could go to friends or relatives or stay in a hotel - they cannot make someone else's lives miserable to get what they feel they need.
    yes - i am sensitive here - i ended up on anti-depressants when our next-door house was gutted - wish i'd known about weekend rules sooner - these are noisy working 8 till 1 only on saturday and not at all on sunday - i don't know if they are national rules, but they seem to apply in all the london boroughs that showed up in a quick google search.
    and if the new owners are in desparate straits, they should be coming down and checking the progress and how it is being achieved themselves
    good luck with your local council lfnemo

19. Captain Obvious

As far as builders merchants go, they tend not to open until 7:30 as a fairly general rule.
    You don't want to get builders in who sour the relationship with the neighbours (even if you don't know them), it's just sensible. 7:30 on a weekend is not a considerate time of day - and while it may be perfectly legal to be working then (7am seems to be the cutoff for loud noise), it's just not nice.

20. where do you live - it's definitely 8am saturdays round here