1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Builders - again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Feb 25, 2011.

1. so - the builders next door are still banging, hammering, masonry drilling, sanding, not getting a new skip (so the rubbish blows into ours)
    miss post - who is revising for a level mocks - has understandably left home
    mr post has leave from work he does not want to take cos he does't want to be here
    master post lives with his earphones glued in and i have learned to talk in sign language
    i am not on tranquilisers cos i messed up my dr's appointment, so i cope by screaming at anyone who crosses my path instead
    this has been going on since the start of december - i have confronted the builder twice - he lies - it is easier for him
    there is no solution - but lor', i need sympathy

2. so - the builders next door are still banging, hammering, masonry drilling, sanding, not getting a new skip (so the rubbish blows into ours)
    miss post - who is revising for a level mocks - has understandably left home
    mr post has leave from work he does not want to take cos he does't want to be here
    master post lives with his earphones glued in and i have learned to talk in sign language
    i am not on tranquilisers cos i messed up my dr's appointment, so i cope by screaming at anyone who crosses my path instead
    this has been going on since the start of december - i have confronted the builder twice - he lies - it is easier for him
    there is no solution - but lor', i need sympathy

3. Sending you LOTS of sympathy. Been there so I know what you mean. It will be over one day.....hang on to that thought.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

firstly the rubbish..you can set the council onto him in some areas..and they will enforce he clears his rubbish....its worth a try..you could tell them yo have seem rats inside his rubbish..it worked on my neighbour and the council made him shift his piled up beds and carpets.Although it was true as i saw them myself and so i complained.
    If the noise is incessent and all hours again call the council as you are entitled to some 'down time'..however, i would be inclined to write a strong letter first to the builder and owner complaining over the noise and asking for a completion date...he is obviously an inconsiderate builder, but he does have hs job to do...yours is to have a life and i wouldnt let him get away wit it....not if continued at all times with no respite.
    I can be done more thoughtfully..my next door but one neighbour built a whole extension and you hardly heard a noise except for bit of shouting and the whir of the mixer.....and the builders started after 8 and where gone by 4.....and they didnt leave a mess!

5. I have been doing a lot of DIY this week. And very satisfying it has been getting jobs done that I've been meaning to do. MrMad is too delicate <strike>lazy git</strike> to do any jobs around the LaMaddalena villa. Go on get the hammer drill out and join them.
    Failing that ear defenders are brilliant. I wear them at school and I can hardly hear the kids !

6. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

You have my sympathy [​IMG], but
    Contact your council's Environmental Health department. Builders are supposed to use best practice to reduce noise to 'reasonable' levels. Ask EH what constitutes 'reasonable' - if your family has been disturbed for hours on end over a long period of time with no end in sight this is clearly not reasonable. There are also guidelines on the hours that noisy construction works should be limited to - e.g 8 am - 6 pm Mon-Fri; 8 am - 1 pm Sat. EH have the power to set restrictions if there is a noise nuisance.
    They will probably advise you to have a friendly word with the builder before involving them - but if this doesn't work they are there to help.
    You could always print out a copy of this and leave it helpfully on the builder's van. http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/1BA403C9-40C7-4692-A1CF-7B8E164EFEB8/0/building.pdf

7. no - the noise isn't incessant in that they more or less stick to the weekday hours - going over up to 30
    mins each way - thanks for tip about saturdays hw - there is masonry
    drilling going on as i type, so if it hasn't stopped by 1 i shall be over there - i had already stopped them from working sundays -
    but that doesn't help miss post with her studying or mr post if he wants
    a day off, or me over half term - which is what has really got me down. i would have gone into school if it had been open - master post and i have gone out, but i have stuff to do as well! (the christmas holidays were such fun too)
    i
    have asked the builder twice for a completion date - at least for the
    noisy work - when the first date passed, he claimed 'unexpected snags' -
    i didn't bother asking again when the second date passed, but putting in writing - that's a thought - but i know what their problem is - these houses
    have concrete walls and floors and are hard to do any work on, and they
    are (according to the architect next door the other side) doing totally
    inappropriate improvements - but having started, they have to finish
    also,
    when i complain about the skips, he always has another one 'on order'
    which arrives a few days later and is immediately re-filled, but it's
    not like permanant rubbish - though i may take a few pictures for info with a view to contacting the council
    i doubt the noise is over limits, but
    the masonry drills vibrate through the whole house - the 2 houses have
    chimneys in the party walls which means sound always carries - and as
    the house is completely empty, everything is magnified anyway - it really isn't like someone doing diy in a furnished, inhabited house
    i shall be glad to go back in next week [​IMG] and osm - i want your neighburs' builders!

8. oldsomeman

the trouble is if they have concrete walls and floors drilling into such stuff is noisy as you often have to use hammer drills..However with modern adhesives can now do the job of many srew and fix jobs.
    Worst is if they have to channel out for conduits and pipes which takes ages if using a dril.....or quicker if using a grinder ,but more messy.Be grateful he isnt using Kangos t blast his way though the floor LOL

The real problem is that the builder is not consistently going at the task..other wise such noise should be almost finished..he is probabaly doing a bit here and there to keep the money coming in.As aa builder i hate that and like to finish a job of in one go....but its how some folks work.
    I hope you manage to solve the problem.

9. yeah - theoretically under building regs you have to use the least annoying tools, but i don't have the technical knowledge to argue that one - when we had central heating put in, the guy hired some gob-smackingly expensive special drill to do it as quickly and quietly as possible - and next door they're putting in under-floor heating [​IMG]
    and i do suspect they have not heard of no more nails, as they're supposed to be on to the decorating bit, but the masonry drills come out just as we're relaxing a bit
    and no he isn't - the actual builder comes and goes and leaves a load of east europeans who don't speak english to get on with it as best they can - which is often not that good
    at least they will finish - one reason i'm reluctant to go to the council is a friend who has serious neighbours from hell is getting nowhere - kids throwing balls against a party wall at 2am is just family noise apparently, but when her hubbie puts on the radio to drown out the shrieking during the day - he works from home - that's loud music and an official nuisance

10. oldsomeman

Maybe your friend should place speakers on her wall..turn up the stereo and go out for a walkl...tell them it was recrational music....usually gets the message.
    You neightbours are putting in underflor heating onto a concrete floor i wouldnt expect ti to be inset into the floor..normally its laid then a concrete floor is laid over the top! Ot in this case its laid in its insulation and then a new floor id laid over the top!
    If he is chiselling out the floor normally id have thought he would have bought a floor chisel router which gouges out the lines for the pipe?