1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bugsy Malone

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by sparklepig2002, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Has anyone put on Bugsy Malone? In your opinion is it suitable for years 5 and 6? The year 6 teacher at my school has decided that this is what she wants to do for an end of year show.
    Also, how easy/difficult is the piano part?
    Many thanks

2. sparklepig2002

Has anyone put on Bugsy Malone? In your opinion is it suitable for years 5 and 6? The year 6 teacher at my school has decided that this is what she wants to do for an end of year show.
    Also, how easy/difficult is the piano part?
    Many thanks

3. My Nephew was part of a year 6 performance of Bugsy last year. It was very well done and enjoyable for all who took part.
    I wasn't part of it, so I'm afraid I can't give any more info than that.
    hth

4. musicismyreligion

musicismyreligion New commenter

Hi. I did a condensed Bugsy Malone with Year 7 EAL kids, so I definitely think its possible for Year 6. The piano part, if I recall is sort of ok. If you message me with your email I may have some pdfs of the songs i can send?

5. I think it'd be ok for 5s and 6s, although there's a romantic theme so I guess you'd have to judge whether you're comfortable with that.
    Just remember that you'll need to apply for rights and get permission from the rights-holder before starting with rehearsals. :)

6. @ Post 3

Did you apply for rights or did you "just do it"?
    If you did apply for rights, were they okay in you abridging it?

7. sparklepig2002

have messaged you -many thanks

8. I agree. I'm not sure from what you've said whether you did it as a workshop in lessons without a performance, which is a little different.
    Any performance of a production, whether you charge or not, has to have rights. You do have to have permission to abridge and edit. I'm sorry if this is stating the obvious or teaching Grandma to suck eggs!! :) I know that some of our local primaries often do these west end type musicals and don't always have rights and it's such a massive risk to takeas it is illegal; the penalties for doing this are huge.