1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Bugsy Costumes

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by sassy5678, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hello All
    I'm so excited as I've just been given permission to get the performing rights for Bugsy Malone for our end of year production.
    Problem is we're a very small school and the performing rights have blown my budget.
    So I'm asking please, if there is anyone in the Sussex area willing to lend/sell suitable costumes or props?
    Thank you
    Sassy

2. Hello All
    I'm so excited as I've just been given permission to get the performing rights for Bugsy Malone for our end of year production.
    Problem is we're a very small school and the performing rights have blown my budget.
    So I'm asking please, if there is anyone in the Sussex area willing to lend/sell suitable costumes or props?
    Thank you
    Sassy

3. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

how much did you have to pay? The year 6 teacher at my school wants to put it on in the summer. She hasnt applied yet.

4. So - the year 6 teacher hasn't applied yet for the rights to a show (which costs approx £100 per performance, plus hire of band parts and needs complex costumes and props) which may or may not be available and wants to put it on next term?
    Please keep us informed on this one....

5. Audition process:
    If you have a dark two piece suit, you have a part.
    If you have a dark three piece suit, you have a major part.
    If you have a costume suitable for Talleluah, you shouldn't be in primary school.

6. BTW - it is compulsory to use live musicians - no backing tracks allowed.

7. sparklepig2002

Normally I would be doing all this but I have given up teaching ks2-so it is down to them. Perhaps they will find out how much time it takes to organise something like this !

8. angelinascullina

angelinascullina New commenter

There is a company based in Burgess Hill, Sussex and they hire costumes and I know they staged Bugsy Malone so might be worth a look. Not sure about their prices but they have a website. they are called ARIEL THEATRE COMPANY and Nicci Hopson is the main contact. Hope they can help you .
    Good luck

9. Thanks for the information - I'll have a look
    Sassy

10. Hello
    You could also try Gladrags who are based in Brighton (Gladrags is a charity which provides costumes and educational tools to schools and community groups for a small hire fee)
    They are always exceptionally helpful and have a real passion for what they do.
    http://www.bizwiki.co.uk/fancy-dress/653199/gladrags-community-costume-resource.htm

11. sparklepig2002

sassy-how much did you have to pay for the performng rights?

12. Hi Sparklepig
    Performing rights are £90 + VAT per performance plus score hire and almost £22 P+P through their courier service.
    You need to contact a firm called Boosey.com
    Sassy

13. sparklepig2002

thank you-good luck with your show